Medieval city

Started by Dune, December 04, 2011, 01:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I used atlas mapping which worked well in the first version of this object, but then I changed some things, and it got distorted. So it hasn't got to do with the kind of mapping, just (I guess) with the way points are welded or not. Maybe I should unweld all points, weld the uv's, then merge the points again. Something like that.

Dune

Got it fixed. Some things need changing, but here's another testrender.

Dune

Another problem: when I apply bump in TG, one or two of the polygons get dark. Any idea what may cause this? I hauled it (both as lwo and exported obj) through Poseray, and welded the vertices, but that doesn't make any difference.

inkydigit

Quote from: Dune on December 13, 2011, 10:24:12 AM
Another problem: when I apply bump in TG, one or two of the polygons get dark. Any idea what may cause this? I hauled it (both as lwo and exported obj) through Poseray, and welded the vertices, but that doesn't make any difference.

I have had these issues before...but was not able to fix...I eventually gave up...
:(

Kadri

Ulco , can you share the object here to see closer to the problem?
Only one problematic part is enough it doesn't have to be the complete object.
I am curious too what the problem is  :)

airflamesred

Traditionally, Dune, those black polys would be the sign of reversed normals. I think if you have the double sided poly ticked in the object panel, certainly with procedurals it makes no difference which way the normals face. Jpegs and bump may be different.
Sorry I can't be of more help, though I can take a look at the model if you need. Im interested to see the result of this render, its a direction TG should be going in.

Dune

I've got the same problem in a small lowpoly wall. Attached are the tgo, if anyone needs the lwo or obj to check out, please yell. I have to zip them first. You only have to attach a stone texture.

Tangled-Universe

Hmmm...if these were to be reversed normals/faces then the texture should have been applied to the other side of that face and that's not the case here it seems. It's just being rendered very dark.

What I wonder is if it has anything to do with the size of the polygons. I can imagine that with RTO the value for every polygon is being calculated and since it's a very big polygon it might be an inaccuracy which makes the entire polygon look different from the other in terms of lighting.
How does it look when you add more subdivisions to the model or render it without RTO?

jo

Hi,

I had a look at the arch model and using smooth shaded preview mode that dark area in the render shows up as being different. Opposite to the other parts in fact. I would say something isn't right with the normals there.

Regards,

Jo

Dune

Thanks for commenting on this, guys. I'll haul it thru Poseray another time and recalculate normals. See if that helps. Lightwave is 'famous' for not having good UV mapping, so I might have to consider another app. ZBrush is more for 'round things', so I need something for buildings that is not too complicated (like Blender is).
Anyway, apart form the houses, here's a first view test.

Tangled-Universe

ZBrush was only for round things, but the shadowbox modeling tool allows for relatively easy hardsurface modeling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEZ0VGKg-lg

cyphyr

Sent you a PM Dune.
Quite possible for your purposes (ie just buildings atm) Google sketchup might be worth looking into. Its relatively cheap, has a huge user base and is designed for adding buildings to scenery.
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

Yeah that's a great tip indeed....even I understood Google Sketchup ;)

Dune

That's interesting, Martin. I did check out the ZBrush homepage several times to find out if it's good for me.  I think it is... Google sketchup might be too 'simple'  for more elaborate buildings, I'm not sure.

airflamesred

My advice would be not to use Sketchup. Its like a microwave meal- you don't really know what's in it (geometry analogy). ZB would do it or wings or metasequoia at the cheap end and I see gret things happening with voidworld