2.4 Release Schedule?

Started by PeanutMocha, December 17, 2011, 09:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeanutMocha

Looking over the Announcements forum, it looks like TG2 minor releases come out every 6 months or so on average.  I had problems with several projects forcing me to retreat to 2.2, so wondering if the "6 month rule" might mean 2.4 is due out soon?

Oshyan

As you know we don't give release date specifics in advance, but the 6 month historical precedent seems to more or less fit at this point, eh? ;D

Regardless of that I'm curious what you needed to roll back to 2.2 for. Naturally we'd want to make sure that whatever issues you're encountering are fixed in 2.4, if possible. At this point I'm not aware of anything (off the top of my head) that is better in 2.2 than 2.3.

- Oshyan

PeanutMocha

I have heightmaps that stretch over a significant portion of the planet sphere (about 1 degree to 10 degrees, depending on the project) and tend to get quite a few trBucketRender errors that cause the render to abort.

I did submit a detailed error report some time back and heard back it was probably due to the size of the heightmaps.

Oshyan

Interesting. That's not entirely surprising, what's odd is that it would be different between 2.2 and 2.3. But maybe there's a change in that area that I'm not remembering. If this is the thread you're referring to: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=12091.0
I'd really like to be able to look at the actual image and scene files you're having the problem with as I can't reproduce it with just the TGD there.

- Oshyan

PeanutMocha

Here's a project that reproduces the issue with 2.3.  Works fine with 2.2.

Rendering using the current render camera reliably recreates the issue for me.  I think all required resources are in the ZIP.

http://www.johannsen.us/TG2/FirstLandsCrash.zip

Oshyan

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with image size or any other external assets. Turning off georeferencing for the terrain or disabling the water shader in the ocean planet object both seem to resolve it, as does changing the ocean planet radius to where the water is not visible. So that suggests it's something to do with the water rendering, or interaction between the water shader on one planet and the terrain on the other. I'll send it on to dev and see if we can figure out what's causing it, but it's definitely not normal. In the meantime if you don't need the transparency effect of the Water Shader, you could just use a Reflective Shader which does not seem to cause the issue.

- Oshyan