Windows OS Question

Started by jaf, December 19, 2011, 05:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaf

I'm thinking about building a new computer, but have been wondering about the OS.  I'm using XP x64 now and was thinking it might be better (financially) to skip win7 and go right to win8.  I haven't built a computer for a few years, but it appears to be less difficult no and more choices.

Is it feasible to install my current XP boot drive in a new mb/cpu?  I have a decent graphics board and power supply and would like to retain my software configuration until I have to upgrade the OS, which seems inevitable, but I have to "pinch pennies."
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Jack

bwhaha go to windows 7 trust me;)
download the alpha build of windows 8 and try it and yeah you will see why i gave you this advice ;)
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Oshyan

I would definitely recommend Windows 7 x64 for any new build and on newer hardware. Way better driver support and compatibility. XP x64 was great to have, but was never really that well supported as compared to future 64 bit Windows versions.

- Oshyan

digitalis99

As if you needed another opinion...Win7 x64 is the only way to fly right now.
Pixel Plow :: Render Endlessly :: http://www.pixelplow.net

rcallicotte

If you haven't thought about it, I would consider Windows 7, 64-bit.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

reck

Windows 7, 64-bit. It really is a great OS.

jaf

Thanks, I'm leaning towards win7 x64.  I think I read somewhere you can dual-boot one of the win7 flavors -- probably the most expensive, which I think also has some xp support.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Jack

or you can run apps in XP mode in win 7 which is sort of like virtualising it.

My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

PabloMack

Quote from: wetbanana on December 21, 2011, 12:54:49 AM
or you can run apps in XP mode in win 7 which is sort of like virtualising it.

According to Microsoft, the XP emulator option requires an extra 2GB of RAM. That means less RAM for your apps. I am running Windows 7-64 Home Premium with few problems. The only one I haven't solved is Sonar 8 not being able to use the GPO4 libraries correctly (a VST conflict). I decided to have a full 64-bit system from the very start. I do have some 32-bit apps that installed and run well including Newtek SpeedEDIT and TG2 before it went to 64-bits (I have upgraded to the 64-bit version).

penang

Quote from: jaf on December 19, 2011, 05:35:08 PMI'm thinking about building a new computer, but have been wondering about the OS.  I'm using XP x64 now and was thinking it might be better (financially) to skip win7 and go right to win8.  I haven't built a computer for a few years, but it appears to be less difficult no and more choices.

Is it feasible to install my current XP boot drive in a new mb/cpu?  I have a decent graphics board and power supply and would like to retain my software configuration until I have to upgrade the OS, which seems inevitable, but I have to "pinch pennies."

I concur with WetBanana. Go for either Linux or Win 7 64-bit.

Win 8 looks like it gonna become another "Win ME" or "Win Vista"

PabloMack

Quote from: jaf on December 19, 2011, 05:35:08 PM
I concur with WetBanana. Go for either Linux or Win 7 64-bit.
Win 8 looks like it gonna become another "Win ME" or "Win Vista"

I've heard before that the odd numbered versions of Windows are the best ones. I then read somewhere that MS has two OS development teams that have different parallel OSs and do their releases alternately. If this is true then avoid Windows 8 like the plague. I know I'm going to.