Sun Rays through forest roof

Started by Confusius, December 20, 2011, 07:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Confusius

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to create a dense forest scene where the sun rays (god rays) come through the forest roof, something like this :

I've tried to do this using 3D clouds at camera height but it doesn't really work. This is the result : http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=23239

As you can see it's not really the desired effect :)

Does anyone know how I would get such an effect?

Thx!

C.

PS. the grass is from mr. lamppost's basic grass pack, trees I don't really remember...

freelancah

Haze value and "haze glow ammount" would be where I'd start

Confusius

Quote from: freelancah on December 20, 2011, 07:20:30 AM
Haze value and "haze glow ammount" would be where I'd start

So by that you mean get rid of the cloud layer and fiddle with the atmosphere settings?

freelancah

Yeah or perhaps a combination of both. You might have to bump the suns power too

Confusius

Thx freelancah,

I'll fiddle around with that and I'll post the results here later :)

Cheers!

dandelO

You need to check 'receive shadows from surfaces' in the haze layer for objects to cast rays through it. This will significantly raise render times, unfortunately.

bobbystahr

Was just about to add that but y beat me to it dandel0
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Confusius

Thx guys,

I wasn't getting any further and almost gave up on it but I'll try your suggestions ;)

Cheers,

C.

Kevin F

rcallicotte

Nice, Kevin.  If only we could dust-like particles in that dust and some atmosphere, this image would be wonderful.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bobbystahr

Quote from: calico on December 21, 2011, 02:00:10 PM
Nice, Kevin.  If only we could dust-like particles in that dust and some atmosphere, this image would be wonderful.

now there's an idea to quadruple render times...particles of dust would be very expensive time wise
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Confusius

Quote from: Kevin F on December 21, 2011, 01:53:47 PM
if you'd like the tgd file for this  image or any in the series just lrt me know.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9775.0;attach=24313;image

Hi Kevin,

Great render!

Is it possible to put the sun and atmo settings in a clip file? That way you don't need to give me the whole tgd. :)

Thx!!!

Kevin F

Here are two stripped down atmosphere clips as used in "elephants in the mist1 and 3". 1 uses a localised  cloud, 3 doesn't and is the better one I think. There's not much to them and no real secret, just make sure you have "receive shadows from surfaces" enabled and have a high quality/number of samples in the mist layer.
Don't think I even had raytrace  atmosphere on for version 3 (not sure it was available then).
Feel free to play and make sure you post your results.
Merry xmas.

Confusius

Quote from: Kevin F on December 22, 2011, 08:54:09 AM
Here are two stripped down atmosphere clips as used in "elephants in the mist1 and 3". 1 uses a localised  cloud, 3 doesn't and is the better one I think. There's not much to them and no real secret, just make sure you have "receive shadows from surfaces" enabled and have a high quality/number of samples in the mist layer.
Don't think I even had raytrace  atmosphere on for version 3 (not sure it was available then).
Feel free to play and make sure you post your results.
Merry xmass.

Thanks a thousand, Kevin. I will play with the clip files tonight and hopefully I can show some results tomorrow :)

Cheers and marry xmas,

bobbystahr

Thanks very much Kevin, now I can see where I'm off base.  ..   ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New