Panoramic Mars surface

Started by Franco-Jo, January 05, 2012, 03:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tangled-Universe

Interesting read Matt, as Richard pointed it's interesting to see the thought process.
As a fellow realism-adept I especially found it interesting to see your 'unrealistic' approach to get shiny frost.
I'd always start with a frost colour (and probably stick with it) and fiddle endlessly with the reflection settings and frost colour to get it right, instead of creating black frost and cranking up some settings of the reflective shader.

Matt

Me too. In this case I was looking at an image that I didn't think could be achieved through realistic means, so that freed me to try something else :)
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Franco-Jo

I've been endlessly tweaking for the last two days. I'm making progress as I think the sun has improved, as has the texture. It feels more like a sandy landscape with the ripples than a rich soil which the previous render felt like. It's getting there, but a ways to go yet - some texture issues which need addressing such as the blend from the ripples to smooth which I've no idea how to do at the minute, etc.

In my quest for texturing, I've also lost the lighting that I was going after but will come back to that with Matt's suggestions once I've nailed things a bit better.

Any road, FYI, here is the update.

Oshyan

I think your new version is much improved. You're on the right track, keep at it!

- Oshyan

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

masonspappy

Franco-Jo

Thank you for the feedback, folks! :)

Franco-Jo

Thought I'd resurrect this old thread to show you all some details of the final product (attached below) along with an installation image.

Thanks so much for all of your help everyone (and particularly Matt and Oshyan who went well out of their way to assist)! As a first project with Terragen, I'm really pleased with the result - many people who visited the piece thought that it was an existing landscape which is pretty amazing. And now that I know some basics about the program, I'm really looking forward to the next project starting very soon!

Kadri

Very nice !
I saw it already on another site.
You could post this here to probably:
http://www.kellyrichardson.net/

ares2101

I like the change to the blue sunset.  A lot of people seem to miss that oddity.

masonspappy

So, is this a mural painted on a wall?

TheBadger

^^Giant render, printed equally giant.

OUTSTANDING!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
It has been eaten.

Dune

Super image! Well lit out as well (much better than my medieval city). What has it been printed on?

Franco-Jo

Thanks very much for the feedback!

It's actually a giant video, 3 times full HD (5760x1080 total) and edge blended between 3 projectors to create the large seamless, panoramic expanse. Not an easy installation, I've discovered. The video is 20 minutes long and is a static shot of this landscape on Mars with spacecraft which are partially functioning amid a dust storm. It functions like you're looking out a huge window onto a future Mars with all of the debris and spacecraft from hundreds of years of exploration. It's as close to being on Mars as any of us will likely experience.

I did render a rather huge image for print as well though - 17000 wide, which was used to produce large billboards to promote the installation (which was timed to coincide with the landing of Curiosity).