Rendering Skymap with custom objects question

Started by Alkerak, January 08, 2012, 10:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkerak

Hello

I had this ideea for an artistic scene. It comprises of a skymap with a huge crystal city on the horizon. I am curious what would I need to do in Terrage 2 to get that. I would need to model the city obviously an export it. How could I import it from blender to terragen 2?

cyphyr

Save your Blender city object out as an .obj, open it in poseray and re-save and import into Terragen.
Poseray is a utility that conforms obj to a standard that can be imported safely into Terragen, it has some other useful functions to, uv and texture re-mapping etc. Its FREE.
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Todd

Wow - thanks for the volume and speed of response - its great to see such an active forum, I've been on a number over the years where you're lucky to get a comment 2-3 days later.

@ Richard/Cyphyr - thanks for the solution - worked a treat, it now sits flat.
@ FrankB - Perfect analysis on where I'm at - yep, I'm the engineer/analytic type - at least I am after Ive dived in and broken something and need to figure out what went wrong  :-[  Given the number and helpfulness of the responses, I'm going to perservere and use the forum more to help me overcome the learning curve (apologies in advance all) ...I might try and document what I find and try and put my 'discoveries' down in laymans terms to share with others so that they dont have to suffer the same fate that I (by the sound of it just about everyone else here) have experienced over the last 3-4 weeks as I fiddled with the product.
@ The badger - I like the idea of it being an art....I'll use that mantra to retain my sanity as I beat my head against the screen.  Sadly I'm trying for Rembrandt portrait of a world but am turning out a poor Picasso/Dali.
@ Dune - I've already got the addictive bit...usually I dont perservere quite as long on things...
@ axe - perfect analogy!

Thanks again all for the pick-me-up & look out for my posts - I fear there may be a swathe of them.

Dune

Don't forget (and that counts for all newbies) to use the search button with smart combinations of words. There's tons of information in older threads, and most issues have been discussed earlier. Solutions are presented and even tgd's or tgc's.