Does Luminosity Emit Light?

Started by MeltingIce, December 23, 2006, 07:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingIce

I know that in other 3D rendering programs, the luminosity channel can be used to emit light from a texture in scenes rendered with global illumination.  Does Terragen 2 do this as well?  I would think that it does since it uses Global Illumination to light the scenes, but I'm not sure if it works the same way as other 3D rendering programs.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Oshyan

Currently this is not possible. "Luminous" just gives surfaces self-luminosity in shading of that particular surface/object. They don't project light into the scene or onto other objects at this time.

- Oshyan

MeltingIce

Quote from: JavaJones on December 23, 2006, 08:01:07 PM
Currently this is not possible. "Luminous" just gives surfaces self-luminosity in shading of that particular surface/object. They don't project light into the scene or onto other objects at this time.

- Oshyan
Ah gotcha, I had a feeling that was the case, thanks Oshyan.

Matt

Yes. When using Global Illumination, luminous surfaces will cast light into the surrounding scene, as with most other global illumination renderers. However, it is best to avoid very small, very bright luminous objects because the Global Illumination settings would need to be turned up very high to handle them well. In such situations it is best to use real lightsources.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

MeltingIce

Quote from: Matt on December 23, 2006, 09:44:58 PM
Yes. When using Global Illumination, luminous surfaces will cast light into the surrounding scene, as with most other global illumination renderers. However, it is best to avoid very small, very bright luminous objects because the Global Illumination settings would need to be turned up very high to handle them well. In such situations it is best to use real lightsources.

Matt

Ah great, an answer from the creator himself  :P  I might try playing around with this to see if I can get something cool.  If I make the sun very dim or the cloud cover very dense, then have a luminous object in the middle, I might end up with some cool effects!  Thanks for the replies!

RealUser

Coool, that could be used for glowing lava or the like!
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

pixelpusher636

Wow! Thanks "Ronnie the Knob" for useless links to content readily accessible to anyone literally anywhere! So no need to diligently curate content that's so saturated in a forum that could give to fucks less. know your audience. 
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

Hannes

Don't waste your time, Pixelpusher. It's just one of those spam attacks. Maybe not even a real person...