Wind Turbines - Stumped - any ideas???

Started by masonspappy, January 12, 2012, 05:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonspappy

So, I'm stumped. I need to stage these wind turbines into a scene and this "kinda sort" works, but I'm still not happy with the image. I want to keep the sky, and the lighthouse was added between the turbines to give them perspective (In real life wind turbines are monstrous things!) . But overall it just doesn't work for me. I'll entertain any and all suggestions.

Dune

Maybe wide-angle, so you look up to one monster and view the other(s) in more distance...

masonspappy

Thanks Dune. Got one other suggestion and I'm going to combine them and see how it turns out.
- Cam

choronr

Looking very good. Agree with Dune; maybe a 2.6 ratio. Also, tilt up and closer to the ground while moving back the POV. In all, you've got a good WIP going here. Look for flattening low areas .tgc somewhere here in the threads which you could try plugging in; this giving you some flat areas for planting the pylons.

Derek Tokarzewski

Your problem is simple

Your scene has no object that the viewer is familiar with  to compare the wind tubrines to. (Light house doesn't count)
To make things worse, all those little rocks, are not little rock they are boulders.
This is the type of texture is siezed for regular person to walk on.
So what to do?

texture your ground properly.
Put somekind of vegetation next to the wind turbine (tree would be good indicator of size
place the camera closer to the ground 1 or 2 meters above the ground.
If your camera is already that low scale up the turbines then.
Put a turbine on one of those little islands in the distance that will indicate how big they are.
Always remember things closer needs more detailed texture, things further not so much.
Ask yourself how does a person climps up those turbines to fix them.
Is there a lader or maybe there is a small entrance at the battom. open the door just for kicks.

masonspappy

2nd image - a little better, I think.  Have only incorporated a few suggestions here, and still plan on implementing others. Derek's point about sizing and comparisons is well taken.  I'm tinkering with elminating landmasses entirely and putting in a boat (maybe a sailboat ??)  to give a better idea of the turbine's size. Which means I need to go off for awhile and see what I can whip up in Blender.
Thanks everyone...your suggestions are really appreciated!!
- Cam

Derek Tokarzewski

Love the suttle color highlights on the blades
Now if only you could add a boat, or a buoye.
Also since this is a man made instalation, we like to put things in rows so try to align them and see how that looks.
Segals would be a nice touch to the image.
Also on texture, some weather effects would be nice touch, to show paint chips, corrosion etc.
Keep it up.

cyphyr

I worked on some wind farm visualisation for the Countryside Agency and separately some developers a few years ago. Ocean based wind farms are spaced further apart from each other, typically three times the height of the turbine blade top between the base of each turbine. Also the ocean based turbines often have a fenced platform about 3m - 5m above the sea surface with an access door to the interior and a ladder reaching down to where a boat could moor.
Looking good :)
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Axe

A sailboat would be great, but I'd avoid the seagulls (could be messy as they don't combine well with giant fan blades....) ;)

I love your sky - any chance of sharing the settings?

Axe

masonspappy

Hey Axe, I've attached the TGD file (no turbines).  WIll that work?
- Cam

Axe

Awesome!  Thanks Cam.
It will definitely help me progress up the learning curve......

I look forward to seeing your final composition.

Axe

inkydigit

second one looks better, but some point of reference for scale on the horizon/far distance could maybe help improve this further?
thanks for the tgd also...very kind of you!
cheers
J

masonspappy

@ inky....just about done with the updated wind turbines... will post them in a few days then get to work on the sailboat that will be a point of reference.
- Cam

masonspappy

Finally got the pedastals for the wind turbines completed. Had to dial down the red light a bit - it was not mixing well with the yellow paint.  The yellow paint on the pedastals do show some weather wear, but it can't really be made out in the heavy shadows.  Working now on a sailboat or two to give the whole thing a better sense of proportion