NWDA Procedural Road and Tarmac Pack out NOW

Started by FrankB, January 24, 2012, 01:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Quote from: FrankB on February 04, 2012, 07:24:38 PM
Hi Bob, this looks really good. Thanks for finding such a nice place for the road ;)

Regards,
Frank
Thank you Frank. Getting near ready for the final render. Added a car on the road and need to work out some problems.

Dune

A car is not really needed, but a few potholes might be nice. And I'm not very keen on the lines either. And the tree on the left is nice for sense of depth, but the roots are a bit nasty. Perhaps some grass around it's roots to camouflage.

FrankB

I for one do like the fact that there are these repair lines, Bob!
I must say though they are probably a bit too reflective. By the way if you want less lines, decrease the color offset in the power fractal of the Road Repair bumps group

Cheers,
Frank

choronr

A nasty surprise. I opened my file to continue working on the image only to get the attached error warning. I noted that now, I have an extra set of cameras, an extra set of suns, enviro light; and, atmospheres. Also have an extra set of quick and 'full renders' which are set at 1.3333 whereas mine were set at 2.

After two weeks of work, looks like I will be losing all of it.   

FrankB

Quote from: choronr on February 05, 2012, 05:26:53 PM
A nasty surprise. I opened my file to continue working on the image only to get the attached error warning. I noted that now, I have an extra set of cameras, an extra set of suns, enviro light; and, atmospheres. Also have an extra set of quick and 'full renders' which are set at 1.3333 whereas mine were set at 2.

don't you do incremental saves and go back to previous version?

choronr

Quote from: FrankB on February 05, 2012, 05:28:34 PM
Quote from: choronr on February 05, 2012, 05:26:53 PM

don't you do incremental saves and go back to previous version?
Yes always; and, tried to go back to previous version and nothing happens. Also noted, all my vegetation models are gone!

dandelO

Bob, open the .tgd in a text editor and navigate to line 6369 of the text, you can find a line counter online if you don't already have one. Look for any strange symbols, like asterisks, hash symbols, ampersands in that line and delete them. It's probably coming from a single keystroke of one of those non alphabetic symbols giving this error. Once you delete the symbol, close and save the file and it should work again.

choronr

Quote from: dandelO on February 05, 2012, 05:40:21 PM
Bob, open the .tgd in a text editor and navigate to line 6369 of the text, you can find a line counter online if you don't already have one. Look for any strange symbols, like asterisks, hash symbols, ampersands in that line and delete them. It's probably coming from a single keystroke of one of those non alphabetic symbols giving this error. Once you delete the symbol, close and save the file and it should work again.
Thanks Martin. Never did this before. Would MS Word work? Will be leaving my home soon to meet some out of town visitors; will be back later this evening and try it.

dandelO

I'd say to pass the .tgd to me and I'd hopefully fix it but as it contains the road pack which I don't have, I'd go to this link and it tells you how to display and then remove the displayed line count of a text document in Word. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/add-or-remove-line-numbers-HP001229279.aspx

choronr

Quote from: dandelO on February 05, 2012, 06:26:02 PM
I'd say to pass the .tgd to me and I'd hopefully fix it but as it contains the road pack which I don't have, I'd go to this link and it tells you how to display and then remove the displayed line count of a text document in Word. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/add-or-remove-line-numbers-HP001229279.aspx
Thank you Martin,

In this case, I would neither add nor remove a line as MS explains; but, modify it if it contains unwanted characters (as you recommended). Then, upon modifications, reopen the entire file to see if that fixed it ...I think.

dandelO

Yes, as soon as the file is modified, I'd just hit close and select yes in the save dialogue, that way, it would save the original.tgd that you opened, instead of as a new text doc. The line count display is only to direct you to the offending line, don't leave it displayed when closing and saving the file. I think there are instructions to remove the line count display after the instructions on how to display them, on the above page.

Oshyan

I suspect MS word will not handle the formatting correctly. Use notepad or a notepad alternative like notepad++ or PSPad. But before to make a copy of the TGD *before* editing it! Do not work on the original. It's very possible that your data is retrievable, but you want to be careful in your efforts to do so as you may lose whatever you have left still in the process.

- Oshyan

choronr

Thanks Martin and Oshyan, I'll do what I can with this. Also, I've been doing some adjusting with the file that came up with the error. As said earlier. after the error message, I wound up with almost two of everything (except the objects which I did find later). I've been disabling and deleting where I can. Exceptions are the extra renderers which I can't delete. I had to readjust the image size; readjust the sun settings amongst a few other things. We'll see how this goes before I do the line adjustment ...good luck to me I guess.

dandelO

I saw almost the same thing happening when I made a file that contained an asterisk as text in a note node. The project loaded with a similar error and lots of nodes missing/doubled/empty and other things. Once I edited the offending characters out in a text editor it worked perfectly just as it was before.

And yes, definitely work on a copy!

choronr

Quote from: dandelO on February 06, 2012, 01:05:55 AM
I saw almost the same thing happening when I made a file that contained an asterisk as text in a note node. The project loaded with a similar error and lots of nodes missing/doubled/empty and other things. Once I edited the offending characters out in a text editor it worked perfectly just as it was before.

And yes, definitely work on a copy!
I have corrected the automobile issue. Toned down the reflection of the road repairs. All populations are working. I noted, the file has no name. About ready to go to bed. Will leave my system on overnight. Tomorrow, I'll run a quick render. If this comes out OK, I'll do a final render. Then, I'll clean up the file and do a 'save as' with a new name ...pheeew, this has been a learning experience in many ways. Thanks to you, Frank and Inkydigit for all your input.