NWDA Procedural Road and Tarmac Pack out NOW

Started by FrankB, January 24, 2012, 01:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Looks like by this quick render, everything worked out well thanks to all of you. Now, on to the Final render and corrections to the file. We'll call it 'Larch Mountain Trail' like the one in Oregon.

FrankB

... looks really great, except that the car is way too big. Don't forget to make it smaller before starting the final render!

Cheers,
Frank

choronr

Thanks Frank, I'll reduce it by 10 to 12% and see.

inkydigit

looking good Bob... looking forward to the final..!
:)

choronr

Quote from: inkydigit on February 06, 2012, 02:39:22 PM
looking good Bob... looking forward to the final..!
:)
Thanks Jason, will be rendering soon.

Dune

And you should alter the refraction index of the car's body paint. Did you set the reflective shader to RT? Then set the index to 1.6 or so.

choronr

Quote from: Dune on February 07, 2012, 02:03:29 AM
And you should alter the refraction index of the car's body paint. Did you set the reflective shader to RT? Then set the index to 1.6 or so.
Thank you Ulco, I will make a test trying your suggestion. I did not set the reflective shader to RT. I once set a Reflective shader to RT in a previous project and it took ages to render. I guess it depends where it is really needed such as in this case.

Dune

I don't think it'll be very burdensome is this case, as it's a fairly smooth car. You get into trouble with all sorts of small angles, like in complicated waves. But it would make your car really polished. And if you want some dirt over that shine, just add another PF after the reflective shader with one color (or through a surface shader set to 0.5 coverage). You can even blend that dirt by a distribution shader (max height) to get only the underside dirty... etc, etc.

choronr

Quote from: Dune on February 08, 2012, 03:26:46 AM
I don't think it'll be very burdensome is this case, as it's a fairly smooth car. You get into trouble with all sorts of small angles, like in complicated waves. But it would make your car really polished. And if you want some dirt over that shine, just add another PF after the reflective shader with one color (or through a surface shader set to 0.5 coverage). You can even blend that dirt by a distribution shader (max height) to get only the underside dirty... etc, etc.
Good suggestions Ulco for those who will be using Frank's road files. This particular suggestion of getting the underside dirty is great - would like to see someone couple Frank's file with Andy's 'Epic Failure' (mud puddles/tracks) and a vehicle driving through.

PeanutMocha

Can the procedural road be adapted easily to a dirt road?  If so, can wagon wheel ruts be added e.g. instead of lines?

Dune

I don't know how Frank's file works, but it shouldn't be any problem.

Henry Blewer

This can be used for paths and streams. Use the clip file. You'll need to create your own shaders to replace the pavement and traffic lines.

I have been playing around with this. I use a surface layer in the shaders tab. To test the node groups, plug one into this surface layers color and displacement inputs, see what happens. Then try another node group. You may have to move the camera closer to the 'road' to notice the differences.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

FrankB

Quote from: PeanutMocha on February 15, 2012, 08:53:27 PM
Can the procedural road be adapted easily to a dirt road?  If so, can wagon wheel ruts be added e.g. instead of lines?

Define "easy" ;)
It's possible for an experienced user, but it doesn't come out of the box like this.

Regards,
Frank

PeanutMocha