Cold Vista (V4 page 2)

Started by Seth, January 24, 2012, 04:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

Coming back on TG2 and still wanting to play with black and white.
I hope to be able to render that scene as an animation sooner or later... but I guess it will be in colour :)
anyway, this is just a WIP so I will post any further iterations ^^

Cheers guys !

inkydigit

loving the mood here already Franck!

:)

Oshyan

This works very well as a black and white. Wonderful, dreamy feel. Are there heavy shadows from the clouds on the terrain, leaving those small areas of trees in the light at the shore, or is there something else creating that effect?

- Oshyan

Jo Kariboo

Très belle effet de lumière et d'ombre. La teinte des arbres me rappelle le film noir et blanc infra-rouge.
Very beautiful light effect. The hue of the trees makes me think the black and white film infra-red.

Seth

thanks guys :)

the heavy shadows are done by the clouds but I increased the contrast of the render in postwork,
because it was not as good in the raw render.
And, working in black and white, I change the blue value of the sky to the darkest point possible,
trying to keep a kind of depth, if I might say, in the clear part of the sky.

It works pretty well, for a wip on my screen but I am not sure it would be a good render
on a screen with, for example too much gama .

Anyway, I am still working on that one right now,
and I might lose that kind of feeling in the "final"version, considering it will be in colours ;)

Cheers !

FrankB

looks very good, Franck! :)
Making outstanding B&W pictures isn't easy (for me, I fail at it), but you seem to have figured out how :)

Cheers,
Frank

Walli

very nice and I also was thinking it looks a bit like IR photography

Dune

I like this. Beautiful light. Having photographed a lot in B&W in earlier days, I am drawn to these kind of artistic images.

Tangled-Universe

Cool work Ansel...ehhh Franck ;D

Quote from: Walli on January 25, 2012, 04:04:21 AM
very nice and I also was thinking it looks a bit like IR photography

Yeah a bit, although trees would have white leaves then.

cyphyr

Very good, I love the atmosphere and I agree, it has an IR look to it, how the trees seem luminous.
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Seth

thanks guys !!!

hehe Martin ^^
you know I love his job, hu ?

Just some iteration, still a WIP : http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7005/6760983633_dec9afcf6f_o.jpg
in colours...

I am not happy yet and the render time is not good for animation, but I am trying some GI settings to check the differences.
Anyway, feel free to say what seems wrong to you,
that always help to improve the renders :)

efflux

Nice. looks like an Ansel Adams. Something about scale gives it away as not real. I think the waves in the water look too big.

Seth

Quote from: efflux on January 25, 2012, 05:52:52 PM
Nice. looks like an Ansel Adams. Something about scale gives it away as not real. I think the waves in the water look too big.

absolutely right about the water.
I don't know if it is the scale of the waves but it doesn't work properly !

masonspappy

Quote from: efflux on January 25, 2012, 05:52:52 PM

Thanks efflux. I've been trying to put my finger on why this style of B&W imagery looked familiary, but I could not recall Ansel Adams name

Dune

The scale is hard to compare, there's nothing that is so clearly a certain size. It could be a very small area with some tiny bushes, or a very large lake with normal trees. If you add just one building, boat landing or sailboat or so, you set the scales right. And I'm not fond of such intense blue sky. Curious to see where you take this...