Fake Transparent Water

Started by sonshine777, April 21, 2007, 05:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonshine777

I have developed a new way to make "Fake Transparent Water".

I have altered the water shader by using a merge shader to combine the water shader with an image shader.

1.The image shader is used to overlay a "through the camera" version of the scene without any water or other
objects, as illustrated in the top image. I found a POV I liked and then rendered the first image. I then made some minor modifications to this image ie... caustics and saved it.

2. The merge shader is used to combine the water shader with the image created earlier. The water shader is plugged into the input port of the merge shader, and the image shader into the shader "A" port. I left all of the merge settings to their default except for the "Mix to A" setting which I set to .2 this can be adjusted, the higher this number the more the image will show through.

This technique works well with still images it made be too cumbersome for animations, as every change in the camera position would require a new image.

Hope this information is helpful. Enjoy! :)

RealUser

Cool, thank you very much for your efforts! :-)
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

rcallicotte

Very nice.  Thanks for the explanation.  Sounds useful.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

For animation, you 'only' need to run the anim twice. Once without water, and once with. Only problem is it takes a lot of work to set the image shader for every frame.

Can it also be tweeked to have less transparency where the water gets deeper?
Howgh!

sonshine777

I have used a distance shader inline with the image shader with some success, still perfecting it though.

bobbystahr

Quote from: sonshine777 on April 21, 2007, 05:47:56 PM
I have developed a new way to make "Fake Transparent Water".
Hope this information is helpful. Enjoy! :)

Hello sonshine777.........Indeed you have and yes it was very helpful. I read about this in, of all places, the Vue Forum at Renderosity in a thread about Vue doing water as well as TG2 and dandelO posted a few examples using your brilliant technique. Attached is a small first test render using fairly lo res(.25 detail render) subsurface image. Thanx very much...many pats on the back friend of TG2.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sonshine777

Tanks Bobby, I hope to have some progress images posted soon. I have been really busy working on finishing some camoes.

Seth

dhavalmistry

nice results seth.......

can I ask sonshine......how did you add caustics in photoshop?
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

Astonishing results, Seth.  I'm tempted to say these look like photos.  Nice!

Seth

thanks dude !  :D

oh here is the tgd of the second one... if someone wanna try another POV or lighting or anything...

rcallicotte

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Seth

bobbystahr

Indeed thanx very much...it's always helpful to have many takes on a technique...often leads to new discovery....love this forum.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist