Mountain Road

Started by Dune, February 15, 2012, 03:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Quote from: Dune on March 06, 2012, 03:24:44 AM
... I am also afraid that if I put this at NWDA Frank's pack won't sell anymore  8) ...

oh, come on Ulco! You know I don't mind. Just finish it and put it up, I am all for it. It will surely be a good alternative.

Cheers,
Frank

Dune

Good to know that you think of it like that, Frank. I'll consider it after finalizing the issues at hand.

choronr

This is fantastic. Seeing roads in a scene like this gives one the sense of exploring; like, whats over the next hill. Put it up on NWDA Ulco!

freelancah

Very nice work. Love the version with water and that old VW

Dune

Well, one more then.

otakar

The best potholes I've seen yet.

Kadri

The road looks good Ulco.
Some parts do look a little too much steep but i know you know this and you probably are trying very hard to make this better.
I would not try this without masks. Kudos to you  :)

choronr

You've demonstrated well how this road can be applied to a great looking terrain. Is this a fractal terrain; or, an imported .ter?

masonspappy

I've been following without commenting, but this is great!  The  background part is a bit steep, but really like the foreground part - especially (what appears to be) the right-hand shoulder.

Dune

It wouldn't work on any .ter, as you need to start out with a smooth enough fractal to allow for a smooth road. Build the terrain on either side up with additional fractals (or maybe a generated terrain or .ter). In fact I used a fractal setup shown in another recent thread about extreme settings. So it's all procedural. And as for the steepness; that's just a matter of hitting the right seed or decreasing the size differences in the fractal. I think this is a perlin PF with sizes 900/5000/90 or so, displaced 300m. If I use 200 instead of 90 the road smooths out of course.

choronr

Oh what a nice project this would be...

Dune

It can be done, no doubt.

AP

Yeah, but those mountains have some interesting spikey erosive shapes going on there. It might be doable with some custom blue shaders over an existing alpine fractal. The clouds have some mixed grey tones in them suggesting a mixed internal density. Not sure if that is possible to fractal mix internal cloud densities.

Dune

You could use a copy of the cloud nodes and just slightly change distribution and color.