Why are there lines in the atmosphere?

Started by dmobile1337, April 24, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmobile1337

In the image here:
http://www.skillsetexportable.com/bigcloudsfull.jpg

I get lines like that when I render.  What is the deal with that?

dhavalmistry

I am guessing you dont have the update installed....this is acceleration cache issue....and its not the atmosphere...its the clouds....turn off the acceleration cache in the quality tab of your cloud layer (of course its gonna add more render time)

nice image by the way....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

dmobile1337

the acceleration cache was off at the time of this render.  in truth, I never use the acceleration cache as when I do I get unexpected (but often cool looking) results.

rcallicotte

Are you applying some sort of blending to the clouds?  If not, then it has to do with acceleration cache.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dmobile1337

no blending.  no acceleration cache.  just a render that took a little under 12 hours with edited settings for the clouds.  these are plain vanilla clouds.  The only option I have ticked that was not on is 'softer base' and I turn off acceleration cache for every cloud I create.

dmobile1337

I just finished rendering this one, no acceleration cache, softer base checked, depth 2000, density 20, edge sharpness 4.3.  those are the only settings I messed with at all.   just a vanilla render to reproduce those lines.
http://www.skillsetexportable.com/range.jpg

sonshine777

I know this is an odd question but what is your graphics card color set to? (high color 16 bit or true color 32 bit)

sonshine777

Looked kind of like a low color count issue (thats why I asked) :)

dmobile1337

I totally understand!  This is one of those weird issues that produces an unusual effect.  The effect is making my render look like it was printed on a low end inkjet printer and then scanned back into my computer.  heh.

sonshine777

Have you tried changing your lighting (not much) to see if it has any affect?

dmobile1337

same effect no matter what the lighting conditions.  Good questions!  I have tried everything I know of even increasing the quality settings and AA.  That last image was a detail of .7 and AA of 6

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dmobile1337

still waiting on an email for the update for deep edition.

dhavalmistry

I dont know if I am allowed...but I can probably PM you the link to download the update....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"