Planet Creator

Started by RichTwo, March 08, 2012, 03:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

It's been awhile since I've shared anything here, so it's about time, I'd say.  Attached is a .tgd for creating planet objects.  It is set up so that all you have to do is save the planet object as a clip file and insert it into your scene.  What it doesn't do is render a "home" landscape where the planet is in the sky.  The "home" planet is in the .tgd only to serve as a reference for the render camera.

Now, there are some things some of you may need to know: the settings for the planet object are embedded within the "Rendered Planet" object node.  You will have to right-click on the object and go to "Internal Network".  There is where it all happens.  The main features are controlled with multiply and bias scalars hooked to the voronoi node.  Adjusting the constant scalar values for these will alter the shape of the features.  The overall size of the features is set with a constant scalar as well.  The colors are all adjustable and everything is connected through a warp shader.

That is about it.  Please make note of the above, because as it is with life itself, Terragen 2 doesn't come with instructions. 
They're all wasted!

dandelO

Great looking continent definition here! Very nice. :)

elipsis1

Thanks for sharing this.  Excellent work.

DannyG

Nice Rich, thanks for sharing this
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

elipsis1

Thank you for sharing this.  Wow, seems complicated in the .tgd, great tool for learning though :)

Xynedia

tomperrino

Very cool stuff!
It's an interesting one.
Nice post . keep up the good work!

Erwin0265

Hi,
I'm a total noob;
"Now, there are some things some of you may need to know: the settings for the planet object are embedded within the "Rendered Planet" object node.  You will have to right-click on the object and go to "Internal Network".  There is where it all happens." 
This bit I understand............

"The main features are controlled with multiply and bias scalars hooked to the voronoi node.  Adjusting the constant scalar values for these will alter the shape of the features.  The overall size of the features is set with a constant scalar as well.  The colors are all adjustable and everything is connected through a warp shader."
Great; but how do I.................??
1. Where can I access the multiply and bias scalars that are hooked to the Voronoi node?
2. What's a constant scalar and where can I access that?
3. I found the warp shader to adjust the colours but must admit to being a bit vague on how two colours combined result in all the  colours of the planet.
4. Basically, unlike Terragen itself, are there any more instructions anyone is willing to impart?
5. This pack would be absolutely brilliant with associated tutorials [which I would be happy to write; if I knew anything............ ;D]

I have Vue but am finding Terragen far more enjoyable; I just wish there were as many tutorials for it as there are for Vue [yeah, I know; a common complaint].
I mean, it appears to be a great program but the resources [namely, information] is very much lacking and even Planetside, itself promises info updates "soon" and they were promised years ago.
But then, the staff appear very much understaffed.
I guess what I am saying is; great program, great potential - but it could be so much better.
PS. Please don't take any of this as negative; I'm amazed that Terragen hasn't gone the way of MojoWorld; it speaks volumes of its potential as well as the effort put in by [apparently very limited] staff as well as a strong user base [which I hope to become a part of...].

Erwin
OK, who farted?

Hetzen

If you double click on a node, you will get a floating panel, which holds all the parametres of that node. So to change a constant, double click on the node, change the value. Voila.

Bias and Gain scalars use fractions of 1 to control (eg 0.3).

If you want to know a little more about each node, have a look at this reference page....

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Terragen_2_Node_Reference

There are 4 types of data that can be passed along a node link, displacement, colour (RGB), scalar value (single number) and vector (xyz coordinates). Nodes generally work with multiple types of input, which is why it's so hard to document what you can do with them, as actually there are very few limits.

RichTwo

Er - I forgot to start at a more basic level with my instructions for the total noobs.   I've diddling with TG2 for over 4 years (and have learned very little!) and made the assumption everyone would know at least as much as I did.  My bad!  But you are right, Hetzen.  Everything on the internal network is fully adjustable.
They're all wasted!

jo

Hi,

Quote from: Hetzen on March 27, 2012, 10:50:42 AM
If you want to know a little more about each node, have a look at this reference page....

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Terragen_2_Node_Reference

I just thought I would add that there's a more direct way of getting info about specific nodes. Node parameter views have a button with a "?" icon in the top right. If you click this button it will take you to the page(s) for the that node in the Node Reference.

Another way (when v2.4 is released) is to open a Node Palette from the View menu, select a node and then click the "?" button in the bottom right corner. This will take you to the Node Reference as well.

Not all nodes are documented yet but we're making progress.

Regards,

Jo

Erwin0265

"If you double click on a node, you will get a floating panel, which holds all the parametres of that node. So to change a constant, double click on the node, change the value."
This I understand; but as there are lots and lots of parameters that can be changed............ this still leads me to the same question; "Where can I access the multiply and bias scalars that are hooked to the Voronoi node?"

"Bias and Gain scalars use fractions of 1 to control (eg 0.3)."
OK, but I have yet to find any dialogue box which have these parameters. By that, I mean, where is a bias setting; where is a gain setting; where is a multiply setting?

I know how to get the edit dialogue boxes to pop up for a given node, but I can't find these settings anywhere................
Does it have something to do with the colour settings? I feel this is a weird question to ask, but most edit boxes have high and low colours as black and white [eg. in the ContinentShapes node]; but what does colour have to do with shape?

"Everything on the internal network is fully adjustable."
Yeah, but how is what I am asking..................

"There are 4 types of data that can be passed along a node link, displacement, colour (RGB), scalar value (single number) and vector (xyz coordinates). Nodes generally work with multiple types of input, which is why it's so hard to document what you can do with them, as actually there are very few limits."
What is scalar value, where do I find it and what does it do?

"I've diddling with TG2 for over 4 years (and have learned very little!) and made the assumption everyone would know at least as much as I did.  My bad!"
Naughty, naughty.................... ;D
Seriously, Rich2, I have been "diddling" for a week; like I said, total noob. Really, the generosity of users on this forum is nothing short of remarkable - you should all have a warm and fuzzy feeling inside right now............
One thing I don't understand is the apparent lack of official information; I mean, a User Guide of 26 pages.....really, c'mon, ya gotta be pullin' me leg.....
Anyway, there are literally hundreds of questions that I have; if I can get this planet creator to create something right now, I'll keep coming back with more questions..............

Furthermore, I am not one to just take and take and [yes, you guessed it..] take; I was a high school maths and science teacher - I know how to write good tutorials and would be happy to do so once I have learnt something of use to the community.
I think that it would be really beneficial if all of the "mini tutorials" withing the forums were categorised as Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced; and then linked to a central location for access to all [but I have no idea as to how to do this; but perhaps it would at least be beneficial if there were some tutorial guidelines so that all future tutes could be linked this way].
Anyway, just throwing it out there as food for thought...........
OK, who farted?

jo

Hi,

Quote from: Erwin0265 on March 28, 2012, 06:30:14 AM
This I understand; but as there are lots and lots of parameters that can be changed............ this still leads me to the same question; "Where can I access the multiply and bias scalars that are hooked to the Voronoi node?"

I take it you mean "How do I find the multiply and and bias nodes to tweak this planet?". In that case you need to look inside the "Rendered Planet" node, as Rich described in his first post. Nodes can have internal networks. Those that do have a "plus" icon on their right side. You can access the internal network by double clicking on the "plus" icon, or context clicking on the node and selecting "Internal Network". You can also do it from the Rendered Planet node parameter view by clicking the internal network button (has a "network" icon) in the top right. You can also do it by going to the Node Network project view and expanding the Rendered Planet item in the node list at top left of the main window. That will show all the internal nodes.

OK, but I have yet to find any dialogue box which have these parameters. By that, I mean, where is a bias setting; where is a gain setting; where is a multiply setting?

They're talking about nodes in the network. You can find the ones used in this project as above. For example in the internal network of the Rendered Planet node there is a Bias scalar node called "Bias scalar 01". A Bias scalar node takes two scalar inputs. In this case the Bias parameter of the node is connected to the "Distance between walls" node, which is a Constant scalar node. Double click that to edit the value which is being used for bias.

Function nodes typically don't have the ability to edit the values they use in the node itself. They take their values from other nodes which are connected to them. Those values might be the results of other functions, such as a Multiply node, or they might be constants taken from Constant nodes. Constant nodes are the way you input specific values into functions.

If you mean how do you create these nodes there are two ways. One is to context click in network view. The menu that pops up has a whole lot of "Create" submenus which let you choose different types on nodes to create. The nodes you mention are all Function nodes. An easier way to see what nodes are available is to use the Node Palette, which you can open from the View menu. You can browse all the available nodes using the Node Palette. The Node Palette is documented here:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Node_Palette

"Everything on the internal network is fully adjustable."
Yeah, but how is what I am asking..................

Depends what you mean by "how". It could be "how" as in "how do I work with nodes in the node network" or "how" as in "how does changing settings in the nodes effect the planet". If it's the former then it's our documentation problem but if it's the latter then it's up to the creator of the project to describe how things work. To be fair, Rich did mention where to find the settings which control the planet in his first post.

What is scalar value, where do I find it and what does it do?

A scalar is a number. We did actually have documentation for this, as well as information about data flow in the network, but it seems to have gone astray when the documentation system was being upgraded.

Regards,

Jo

Hetzen

Quote from: Erwin0265 on March 28, 2012, 06:30:14 AM
Anyway, just throwing it out there as food for thought...........

Sorry Erwin, I didn't know where you were with this. Jo has put it down very well.

You have to remember that this is a very open structure program.

Erwin0265

Jo,
I am afraid I am still very lost.
QuoteI take it you mean "How do I find the multiply and and bias nodes to tweak this planet?
- I don't know - because I am still quoting Rich's original post which says,
QuoteThe main features are controlled with multiply and bias scalars hooked to the voronoi node.
I have gone into the planet node; I must be totally blind because I simply cannot find any of what you mention:-
QuoteFor example in the internal network of the Rendered Planet node there is a Bias scalar node called "Bias scalar 01". A Bias scalar node takes two scalar inputs. In this case the Bias parameter of the node is connected to the "Distance between walls" node, which is a Constant scalar node. Double click that to edit the value which is being used for bias.
QuoteWe did actually have documentation for this,
Sorry, but that doesn't really help me right now..........
QuoteIn this case the Bias parameter of the node is connected to the "Distance between walls" node, which is a Constant scalar node.
I can't find a bias parameter, nor a distance between walls node. Telling me that it is a Constant scalar; you may as well tell me it's a Fubbyloofer - because I still don't know what a scalar is [remember, notes gone.........].
OK, I'm going to stop here because it seems the more I ask, the more jargon I get back. Jargon is fine, but with no context or a comprehensive glossary [the one I found only had already explained terms, like node], I have no hope of understanding.
QuoteYou have to remember that this is a very open structure program.
What do you mean by "open structure"? I find Vue's Function Editor to be equally open and laid out, if that is what you mean.............?
PLEASE; any explanations in English [minus jargon] would be appreciated.
Screencaps would also be great..........
Thanks for your efforts - don't give up on me.............
BTW, I don't know what a Fubbyloofer is either; I made it up..................;-)
OK, who farted?