Stepped Terrain

Started by efflux, March 13, 2012, 10:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

I'll be back on my Windows system soon so I'll get that last file but I'll remove some of the rock colouring, there is something else going on there. I want to keep the files simple. It's really just the previous file with one step slightly altered, then water and colour added. One thing that is making my renders look bright and crisply lit (at least when I get to adding any colour) is some post processing in an app called Lightzone. It has some fantastic algorithms for relighting scenes. Especially great for landscapes where lighting differences are extreme. Same goes for TG2 - if you are replicating the real world of cameras and photos.

You will see that the water roughness has very small values. This all depends on the scale of your scene (I'm not even sure exactly what kind of scale things are in these scenes) but most of the time water only needs very small values of roughness to be effective unless it is an open ocean.

efflux

Here is that last tgd but with only the one colouring fractal. Nothing special really. I just put water in to try to show how it could relate to a step. It's not a set up I would really design. The step is quite steep.

choronr

Thank you very much efflux. Many thoughts here well taken. Hope to be combining with some of my stuff. You deliver some great inspirations here.

Bjur

Quote from: efflux on November 10, 2012, 02:12:54 PM
Here is that last tgd but with only the one colouring fractal. Nothing special really. I just put water in to try to show how it could relate to a step. It's not a set up I would really design. The step is quite steep.

THX m8!

For me as nub is everything what is looking good/inspiring something "special".  :D

It´s often informative, to compare tgd´s with different approaches/outcomes of several "TG-Veterans".
Reverse-engineering is hard, but fun and enlightening. But shocking too, sometimes, if you just try to find a "simple and fast" solution for whatever.. :P).

o/

Alex
~ The annoying popularity of Vue brought me here.. ~

efflux

Alex,

Often the solutions are simple but since this way of creating 3D doesn't have a huge history and backlog of methods to find out about, it can be hard to find these solutions. The other problem is that often images may look like they have some extremely fancy graph work but in fact it's just that the creator has tastefully chosen ways to get a convincing result. It can be very hard to just get a rock colour right never mind all the other considerations.

efflux

Just another point. I never start from a point of view of creating a "realistic" scene. Some of my older stuff is crazy. I test what I can do with the program. Sometimes I find something I recognise will get a result that looks like a real world earth environment so I use it for that. That's why my more recent stuff appears to be heading in a more realistic direction. I have some gripes with how TG2 works because there are some things I know could be done to get realistic results but the app won't let you do it.

Xynedia

efflux

Here's two more images along the lines I'm working on here. Both stepped. I'm on Linux at the moment so can't give specifics or files but if there is anything new from what I've already posted I'll post files. Steps 14 shows you how this is more subtle with the distortions. The hill on the right has a cliff but it's uneven. Natural looking. Dust 2 is a Perlin terrain that is inverted. Just one method to change the forms. Smoother tops on hills and rocky cliffs towards shore. Ther stepping is quite fundamental to the forms here even although not immediately obvious. This is meant for further tweaking to create beaches and more water area hence the "Dust" name. It's meant for a new planet concept. The "water" is not a water shader as you can see. It's a second planet that will eventually get a water shader but no point as this stage. Water just increases render times.

pclavett

Thanks very much efflux for the extensive sharing of this subject !
Will love studying this in the next few weeks. Much appreciated !
Paul