exr editing in photoshop CS5

Started by elipsis1, March 16, 2012, 10:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elipsis1

Hey guys, when I use photoshop CS5 on my mac, a lot of filter options don't seem to work on a 32bit EXR file.  Is that normal?

Also, I have a trial version of CS5 currently installed on my PC, and I can't even duplicate the background layer, everything is greyed out.  Could that be a limitation of the trial? On the PC I can do a levels adjust and other minor enhancements, but layering seems to be locked or broken or something.

I did search the photoshop forums but didn't find a good answer to the limited functionality.

My MAC version was recently purchased from MacMall.com so it is legit.

Thanks!

elipsis1

Thanks for the links!

Looks like it is "partially" supported due to the limitations of how some of the filters work.

I still am a little puzzled as to why my "trial version" won't let me duplicate a layer, but oh well.

Guess I will use levels in 32-bit mode then switch over to 16-bits per channel for the rest of my editing.

To be honest, the first time I really needed to use exr was due to a gradient sky not having enough information.

So, Terragen 2 has pushed me to learn new things on several levels, and learning is always good!

Thanks again,
Scott

TheBadger

most filters only work in 8 bit mode, this is normal. What you may find helpful is using RAW editing for the 16 bit, but again filters wont be available for the most part too.
You may find it hard to open a render in raw mode because it does not have real photo data. However Your HDR as you already know will easily open.
Do all color correcting , contrast, exposure work in 16bit or better if you have a reason, do FX in 8bit.

There are two ways I know of to look at HDR. 1) as a photographer 2) as a 3D artist. But I am not sure how far apart the thinking gets. Photoshop looks at HDR like a photographer, so in that respect look into "HDR & Photoshop" by colin smith. Spending a little money on basic instruction stuff will save you a ton of time to work on advanced methods.

*oops, I see you said CS5. I am not sure if what I said hold true in that version. Let me know.
It has been eaten.