Deep Green WIP (was detail in deep shadows in terragen discussion)

Started by cyphyr, April 03, 2012, 12:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

I've moved the discussion over to images as its no longer strictly a problem issue.
The original thread is here

Well thanks to Hetzen and TheBadger I was reminded to cheat. So I did.
Renders were taking over six hours (plus two to populate). Now its down to 1 Hour and 46 min with a negligible population time.
Previously if I used fill lighting the renders came out very "flat". The trees in shadow had no "roundness" to them and the only solution was to use GI at relatively high sample/quality and low blur radius.
The new solution has my standard fill light setup plus two new lights as "key" lights. These are set to give a highlight on the trees in the shadow areas. Also their effect on the atmosphere is disabled. The populations that were 8 are now 4, and the models are twice the base size and have greater scale variance (0.5 > 2)
New models added to replace the old place holders. They're still not textured but give a much better idea of where this is going.

I'm not sure about the larger population models, I feel they make the scene "smaller" somehow.

C&C welcome as always.

Cheers

Richard

Edit: Added another render with some low level cloud. Rendered in 1 Hour and 52 min
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

TheBadger

Quote from: cyphyr on April 03, 2012, 12:53:18 PM
I'm not sure about the larger population models, I feel they make the scene "smaller" somehow.

Smaller? Maybe. Better? Yes! I think so. Its a more real world scale. Its a VERY good image... Are you still going to animate?

The new solution has my standard fill light setup plus two new lights as "key" lights. These are set to give a highlight on the trees in the shadow areas. Also their effect on the atmosphere is disabled.

This is one of the subjects I wish someone would make a tutorial for. There are plenty of files and images and conversations about it here. But when I try it it never works out well. A step by step of a real world project would solve all of my problems. Sorry just my standard complaint and request.

Well thanks to Hetzen and TheBadger I was reminded to cheat. So I did.

I think it Kadri and Hetzen. I was just trying to be supportive. I don't have ideas of my own yet (problem solving) I just listen to you guys and repeat. But I'm glad you don't mind me jumping in.

Very good work cyphyr.
It has been eaten.

ra

Great concept! Really like this one all over! Would be cool to see this animated... ;D
Mouthwash? We don't need no stinking mouthwash!! [MI2]
See what I see: www.earthlings.com
http://dinjai.deviantart.com

Oshyan

Scene looks great and, in my view, none the worse for the changes. Although I miss the rays, are those coming back? Or was that part of the optimization that needed to happen?

- Oshyan

cyphyr

Thanks guys (and Kardi :) )

I do hope to animate it although the grand plan I started with may have to be modified just a tad ::)
I'm not set on any of the models or their positioning yet. I liked the rays in the earlier images but not the models. The new ones are still casting some rays but much more subtly. Basically there will be plenty of ray casting :)
I don't think casting rays or not particularly adds to render time. Its the enabling of "Receive shadows from surfaces", irrespective of what shadows, that slows everything down.
The key lights (at 30° and 60° from the sun) are set to only illuminate surfaces (and cast shadows enabled) so add nothing to the render time of volumetrics (the rays and clouds). All theyre really doing is giving a highlight bounce to the foliage.

Cheers

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Oshyan

Quote from: cyphyr on April 03, 2012, 05:24:40 PM
Its the enabling of "Receive shadows from surfaces", irrespective of what shadows, that slows everything down.

Correct. I just wasn't sure if it was still enabled as any rays in the scene are extremely subtle, if there at all.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

One thing I would like to see in the still image version, is one of those bridges just slightly to the bottom of camera level in the immediate foreground, with great detail. It will add a ton of extra depth and perspective. As well as help the distant bridges read much more clearly.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

It looks a little different but very nice Richard !
You have not the willingness to use billboards didn't you Richard?
Not that i would want too , before absolutely required  :D

PS: Just curious was the "Kardi" a reference to TheBadger (mostly he writes it wrong . Not that i mind  :) ) or did you used it wrong too without noticing ?  :D

Themodman101

Wow that vegitation is growing everywhere! lol. very good Variation of Veggies IMO mate. Very good Composition too, I really love what you did with it. :)

TheBadger

lol
yeah, Im a pretty bad typist.

One more thing, cyphyr. I think that the geology of the visible  terrain would create a micro climate. Perhaps you can use those clouds in image 2 to reflect that more. More moisture some how?
It has been eaten.

Matt

If the additional lights are used to light up the foreground but give the impression it's not catching direct sunlight, perhaps you could remove 1/3 of the red out of those lights, a cooler colour, and that could make it look like light filtering down from the sky and bouncing off the canyon walls? That would provide a nice hue contrast with the parts that are catching direct sunlight.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

inkydigit

loving this scene set up..looking good, interesting techniques too
:)

cyphyr

WOW, I didn't realise that it's been over two months since I updated this. There have been some, err, technical issues that I have been struggling with mostly to do with lighting.

Rough story board for Deep Green Canyon Concept: NOTHING is final but I'm getting there slowly. Here the camera is static, just pivoting about itself to look down the canyon, up the canyon walls and then look back in the opposite direction at the tower and waterfall. Lighting this has been an enormous headache surmounted only (for now, something will crop up no doubt) by having 16 separate cloud layers.

Cheers

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

TheBadger

Love the towers and the falls, cyphyr.

Looking forward to more.
It has been eaten.