GI cache file??

Started by AndyWelder, April 17, 2012, 10:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyWelder

In the new release there's this render option called GI cache file; default is "No GI cache file" but what does it do? I don't want to turn it on if this results in crazy long render times with little visible result so I'm not in for "just testing it"....
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

AndyWelder

Global Illumination Caching and other options to address flicker in animations
So it has no influence on a single render?

mhall

Andy,

If you check out this link on the main site:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=222

and scroll down to the GI Caching section, it talks about the use of a GI Cache file for tiled rendering as well as for reducing flicker in animations. So it has a couple of uses.

Regards,
Micheal

Oshyan

There is also some decent documentation on this already: http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Terragen_2_Global_Illumination#Rendering_with_GI
There are still some bits to fill in (specific setting recommendations), but the base info is there and should help you understand if you need to use GI caching.

- Oshyan

AndyWelder

Thank you all for this info.
BTW: TBC does mean "To Be Continued" I guess?

Matt

TBC = To Be Completed. I'll edit those bits in the next day or two.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

FlynnAD

Regarding the GI cache, it's certainly helpful for static scenes where only the camera is moving.

However, for a sun-animation, what are your recommendations? If the sun is moving fast, all bets are off, that's understood. If the sun is moving relatively slow however, the GI cache would work for reducing flicker, but will it mess up illumination on objects that are naturally obscured over time by moving shadows? With slow sun animations, is it best to use a very low interpolate-btwn-frame number with a small or tiny jump between GI cached frames, OR would you recommend not using it at all and dealing with resulting flicker?

How about recommendations for animated cloud scenes (where clouds are casting very visible shadows on the ground? Since the shadows are direct illumination, they would not be affected. But how would the GI cache work best in this case?

I'm guessing that moving water/waves would also cause other GI caching headaches, correct?

Oshyan

I haven't tested the scenarios you describe extensively, but I think you may be overestimating the influence/contribution of GI in many of those scenarios. When you describe "objects that are naturally obscured over time by moving shadows", most of that effect is going to come from primary illumination, so the GI cache should not cause problems. With water, GI may very well not have a significant affect in many cases.

Also my understanding is that the way you describe the interpolation is actually the opposite of what you'd want to do to get flicker-free, smooth results. The more gi solutions you interpolate between (and, to a certain point, the *further apart those solutions are in the sequence*, e.g. every 3rd or 5th frame), the more averaged your GI solution will be, resulting in lower flicker. Yes, blending more frames reduces absolute accuracy and detail somewhat, but if your base GI solutions have a reasonably high initial detail (and you can benefit from no longer having to use high blur radius), then it should still look quite good, and generally preferable to fill light setups, etc.

So I would recommend at least trying GI caching in all the scenarios you describe. If you like the results of GI in your scene, flicker is very likely to be a concern unless you make effective use of the GI cache feature.

- Oshyan