SSS river

Started by Dune, April 18, 2012, 03:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I can't imagine how that would work, honestly, but I'll give it a try. I have now faked the rapids by a simple stretched perlin fractal, perpendicular to the river, but those are not real steps of course. It is now rendering........

Oshyan

The reason the camera controls the exported geometry area for the micro exporter is that the terrain geometry is created by the rendering process and the rendered area is set by the camera view.

If you want to export a square region of terrain, you can turn it into a heightfield by feeding your shader network into the Shader input of a Heightfield Generate, then use a Heightfield Export LWO to get some geometry out. But the micro exporter is generally superior, being able to output in OBJ format for one thing, and you can achieve a similar effect using a top-down render.

Limiting geometry export by a mask is not currently possible.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Dune

The constant scaler works to change the angle, but what I really need is soft edged strata. Or a way to soften the existing strata's edges. I'll scour the forum for nodes...

EDIT: Just found efflux's and mogn's  stepped files again, which might be what I need.

Henry Blewer

I sometimes use a surface layer set to 90 degrees maximum slope and 50 or 60 degrees minimum slope to do this. But this may not be what you need...
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Just how do you do that, Henry?

The problem with the soft (blue node) terraces of efflux and mogn is that the nodes respond to the whole range of the terrain. I can get nice ravines, but I need to apply the terraces to a small height range only. Back to work.

Dune

Here's another test, but it's not what I'm after yet. Hard to get the fall exactly straight down.

Seth

the river bed is really nice

Gannaingh

Agreed. That is one fine looking stream, this is going to look fantastic when it all comes together.

Henry Blewer

Here is an example. The crop is taken from the Terrain node group.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Thanks Henry, I'll check that out. In the meantime I got the idea to first make the basics of terrain steps and river, then warp all together. Hopefully, the river will stay perpendicular to the soft rises. Then raise certain areas and define details.

Kadri

Ulco ,  The   "Smooth surface" check box in compute normal and compute terrain does help in some situations.
I use a displacement map projected from x or z with after above nodes  and it does kinda help.
But you know you get many different kind of looks in TG2 and i am not sure if this is what you are after.
I use these approach on an image i make now.

Edit: And when you use very low or very high "patch size" in "compute normal" you can get many more different results too as you know!

Dune

Thanks, Kadri. I now about the smooth function and small patch size. I used that to make my walls a good while back. You can indeed get some interesting results by using that. Pity is then that smooth surface in surface layers in combination with displacement intersection is not as interesting anymore  ;) I also tried restricting the calculation of the small patch size to only the area where it was needed, the rest was calculated as normal.

But, I think I got something interesting now. Rendering at this moment. Winding river, but a straight waterfall.

FrankB

I still don't know what you mean with SSS.
Perhaps we (not just you alone) should try to explain abbreviations, at least the not so common ones.
Sss is kinda reserved for sub surface scattering I think.

Frank

Gannaingh

Frank, I believe SSS is the simple shape shader.