SSS river

Started by Dune, April 18, 2012, 03:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Quote from: darthvader1 on April 22, 2012, 03:54:16 PM
Frank, I believe SSS is the simple shape shader.

Ah right, that would make sense. thanks!

mhaze

I am always impressed by how much you can achieve with very few blue nodes. An inspiration to all us to use our brains and think things through!

Dune

Sorry about the abbr. SSS, but as we don't have SSS, I might as well use it for the SSS  ;) Maybe I'll call it the SimpleSS (rather than the SS).
Anyway; some progress in a completely different setup, but the terrain lacks quality, and the river is not ready either. I'm slowly getting to where I want this to go.

mhaze

You can get a softer stepping using the Strata shader but controlling the hard layer steepness.  playing with the other settings also produces some interesting effects

Dune

They're still sharp edges, and the top of the fall at least should be smooth and rounded. I've used a stretched perlin perpendicular to the river now, which is going slowly uphill. But then you get some dips.
Best would be if I could blend these perlin heights into the gradient only when they rise above it, then go horizontal until the next soft rise. I tried the conditional shader, but I haven't managed it yet. The interesting part of this would be that the perlin provides some irregularity. I need blue men  ::)

Dune

Two more versions, but I just got some other ideas again.....

mhaze

Dune

I tried something else again and made a sinus-based ramp in the valley. Only forgot to blend the vertical foam by a foam shader, but it's getting kind of nice now.

EDIT: And I need to change the straight river SimpleSS into a triangle  :P

Gannaingh

This is looking great! Whatever the final looks like, it's going to be fantastic!

Henry Blewer

This is looking pretty good.  It will look better when you get the foam turned back on.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

It does. I also changed the ramp's extent a bit to a more rapid like situation.

j meyer

You're definitely getting there.Especially like the parts on the banks where
the ground has been kind of washed away.
Keep going,J.

Henry Blewer

Quote from: j meyer on April 26, 2012, 10:39:21 AM
You're definitely getting there.Especially like the parts on the banks where
the ground has been kind of washed away.
Keep going,J.

I agree. The water turbidity is very good also.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Thanks guys. Here's another one, with a different seed for the mountains close by and a triangle as river instead of rectangular. And some huge stones (a bit too much/big). I may put some more grass in, but I doubt about the yellow flowers.