Air Trees

Started by rcallicotte, April 18, 2012, 07:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I'm using a Painted Shader with the tree population and setting this up like I always do.  The trees are not following the Painted Shader along the ground. Any ideas?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

Answering my own question - I had checked the Object Population - Seed - "Sample terrain and density shader before moving and rotating area"  Once this was unchecked, the population lay flat to the ground.

Oshyan

Playing with new settings? ;D

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

I found this also. It took me a few re-populates to figure it out. What does the "Sample terrain and density shader before moving and rotating area" do?
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Oshyan

As is often the case, the change log provides some insight:
"The populator has an option to "sample terrain and density shader before moving and rotating area". This is useful if you move or rotate a population in space and want to lock the instances relative to the area centre and area rotation."

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

8)  Having loads of fun.  What a great release!  I see everyone's hand in it - Jo, Oshyan (and other testers) and of course the Matt.  Even little things, like the orange lines when I hover over the node network or little options like this one...a lot of thought went into this.

It's great.  Thanks.

Quote from: Oshyan on April 18, 2012, 05:42:04 PM
Playing with new settings? ;D

- Oshyan

Erwin0265

OK,
I was about to create a new post for this. ???
Being very much a newbie, I still need to ask; how do I fix this and why is it happening?
I'm afraid that I have no clue as to what all you guys are talking about.
This may be a new feature for you, but for me, it's a pain in the arse [no offense intended - just 'voicing' frustration].
Basically, I am using Rich2's "Mesa Project" .tgd and playing with a painted shader [which didn't work for me].
Then I just tried a basic population in a rectangle [Populator node?] and ended up with little specs floating up in the air.
The "specs" are pine trees from Walli's pack; I think that this is why the painted shader "didn't work"; because the pines were so small [relative to the terrain], I couldn't see them in a 640 x 360 test render.
Anyway, please check out the attached image and feel free to instruct [I learn best with images..............Yes, I can read].
Thanks to all.
Erwin

OK, who farted?

Kevin F

You need  an additional "Compute Terrain" at the end of your shaders before connecting to the planet. This will default to being called "Compute Terrain 01" You'll then need to connect this to your object population, or simply enter "Compute Terrain 01" without quotes into the empty box next to the "sit on terrain" tick box.

Henry Blewer

I have been using Kevin's method for some time. Works well.

I think the new  "sample terrain and density shader before moving and rotating area" is going to be useful for animation; ie flocks of birds, flight formations....
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Erwin0265

Thanks, Kevin.
I'll give that a try.
The more I play with TG2, to more I realise that the only real way to learn [for me] is to construct scenes using others' tgd and tgc files and then playing around with them to see what happens.
That's when the questions pop up and some learning occurs.
Occasionally, I may even end up with a nice image.............. ;)
Cheers
Erwin
PS. But if there were more, "the making of" style tutorials; that would be great [hint, hint.......... ::)]
OK, who farted?