How to cut out clouds properly to a layer?

Started by KirillK, April 20, 2012, 03:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KirillK

Is it still necessary to render clouds two times: with the atmosphere and without, to cut out clouds properly onto a layer  or maybe there is some other trick ?

Matt

There are a few different ways you could approach this, but they all involve at least 2 renders at the moment. I'm going to try to figure something out for v2.5.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

KirillK

Cool, Thank you. it would definitely help a lot

Matt

Hello again,

I haven't been one to release too much teaser info, but I just want to follow up and say that I've got this working for Terragen 2.5. You'll be able to output separate cloud and atmosphere elements from a single render, with only a small increase in render time. This is part of the Render Elements system for Terragen 2.5. Actually we currently have a total of 23 different render elements that can be saved from a single render! This allows incredible flexibility for relighting and compositing after the render.

We don't have a release date for v2.5 yet, but it will certainly be this year.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

jaf

.......... wow, now that sounds good! Can't wait.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Matt on June 19, 2012, 08:59:46 PM
Hello again,

I haven't been one to release too much teaser info, but I just want to follow up and say that I've got this working for Terragen 2.5. You'll be able to output separate cloud and atmosphere elements from a single render, with only a small increase in render time. This is part of the Render Elements system for Terragen 2.5. Actually we currently have a total of 23 different render elements that can be saved from a single render! This allows incredible flexibility for relighting and compositing after the render.

Matt

23?? Wow, considering the amount us testers already have now that's quite an increase :) Great to hear, bravo!

TheBadger

Quotetotal of 23 different render elements that can be saved from a single render!

That sounds really really good!
It has been eaten.

Kadri

I think i have broke my  " i will render all in one pass directly in the program otherwise it is cheeting"  complex and use postwork more then ever!
Yes very nice news indeed  :)

Hannes

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on June 19, 2012, 08:59:46 PM
Hello again,

Matt

\Awesome...sounds like multi pass is now do able....well will be in a year or so....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

QuoteYou'll be able to output separate cloud and atmosphere elements from a single render, with only a small increase in render time. This is part of the Render Elements system for Terragen 2.5.

Is this what is called a z-pass? From what I understand, this sounds better than a z-pass. If not, can terragen do a z-pass (perhaps by another name?)

I am asking because I want to try some more complex compositing with my renders.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

z-pass is usually analogous to a depth map, which TG2 will output in version 2.5, along with a ton of other types of render elements.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

TY Oshyan, sounds good. Hopefully I'll be ready to go by release time!
It has been eaten.

FlynnAD

Hi Matt/ Planetside,

If you've got 23 (!) different render layers/ render elements coming out in v2.5, will any of them have the ability to output different populations to different layers for later post-processing?

For example, there's a population of tree species A with red autumn leaves and tree species B also with red leaves in the same image. It would be wonderful if we could separate out tree population A so that in post, if we wanted, we could grab tree population A and color correct its red leaves to yellow.

This could really be as simple as a user-defined (population or object) black-and-white matte layer.

-Matt

Oshyan

We will hopefully have the ability to limit render elements to a particular group (or to exclude a group). I think that would cover your need.

- Oshyan