Blend by Shader disconnect anomalies

Started by FlynnAD, April 27, 2012, 04:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlynnAD

Has anyone noticed this?

Plug a node (in this case an image map shader) into the "Blending Shader" triangle of a surface layer and also into the "Blending Shader" triangle of a powerfractal.

In the node network, click on the "Blending Shader" triangle of the surface layer to disconnect the image map shader. The surface layer WILL automatically UN-check its internal "Blend by shader" checkbox.
In the node network, click on the "Blending Shader" triangle of the powerfractal to disconnect the image map shader. The powerfractal will NOT automatically UN-check its internal "Blend by shader" checkbox. Forgetting this non-consistent issue has led to quite a few head-scratching moments when my powerfractal does not show up at all (because it's still using a "Blend by shader" with no shader, so the pf is using all black).

The surface layer node will also turn on the checkbox for the "Blend by shader" when you first attach another node to this triangle slot, if the checkbox was off and no shader was attached. Other nodes (such as the powerfractal and the displacement shader, for example) do not seem to respond this way.

Has this been noticed and is it the desired methodology for the software? If so, I'll just get used to it. If not, perhaps it was a minor bug. I like the intelligence of the surface layer and wish all the nodes reacted this way.

Thanks,
-Matt

dandelO

I wish the switch was automatic on all nodes. It's a pain when you have multiple fractals and shaders that don't automatically switch that you need to go through loads of settings panels to uncheck. Certain other nodes do it for you when they're disconnected. I'm sure there's a good reason for it but it would be handy if things unchecked automatically.

jo

Hi,

I only just noticed this behaviour myself. We'll have to make it more consistent.

Regards,

Jo

FlynnAD

Quote from: jo on April 27, 2012, 09:02:54 PM
I only just noticed this behaviour myself. We'll have to make it more consistent.

If you make it more consistent and must choose one way or the other (manually un/check or automatically un/check the "Blend by shader"), please choose the automatic un/check method!

However, I would suggest NOT linking this un/check methodology to the "Invert blendshader" box. That should be user-controlled only.

Thanks,
-Matt

FlynnAD

Similar anomalies:

If the surface layer node is intelligent, and
if the powerfractal node is not intelligent, then
the distribution node is half-intelligent.

The distribution node will turn ON the checkbox for "Blend by shader" if you attach another node to its triangle. However, the distribution node will not UNcheck the "Blend by shader" if you detact the triangle connection.

If you've got node_1 already connected to a distribution's "Blend by shader" triangle, and you manually UNcheck the "Blend by shader" box, then connect node_2 to the distribution shader's blending shader triangle (while node_1 is still connected), the distribution shader will turn back ON the checkbox for using "Blend by shader". It behaves as if it believes you want to use any nodes you actively connect.

Comparatively, the PF node is a dumb cookie and will not turn on or off the "Blend by shader" at all if you connect, disconnect, or override a prior connection.

The surface layer is a smart cookie and seems to always turn on or off the "Blend by shader" checkbox if you connect, disconnect, or override a node to its triangle.

Dune

I noticed this way back, but made a mental note back then to always check (but sometimes forget, and the suddenly realize, oh yes, that needs to be unchecked of course). But I certainly agree about a consistent intelligent system.