Wyvorm's Realm - Work In Progress

Started by Hetzen, May 06, 2012, 02:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

I thought I'd have a go at a floating rock using planets. The scene definately still needs work, well see if it ever gets much further. Although it's been great to have a go at something different with some free time.

Populating these is a little challenging, the solution so far was to use angled population planes around the rock, atm, I'm using Walli's Pine model which is always verticle, so you can't really see the population hit points, as often the rock hides the model geometry.

So I'd like to have a go at making some vines that cling and hang to the sides, with large leaf foilage on the ledges. Maybe a waterfall?

Cheers

Dune

Indeed a nice start. I like the rock structure. Interesting to see where you take this, Jon. Especially the waterfalls...

Icegrip

Nice scene! will be following this one

Hetzen

Thanks guys. I guess there's a few ways to go with this, so I thought having a go at the hero rock would be a good starter. I remember reading that the water falls around the palace at Naboo in Phantom Menace were in fact falling salt. With that in mind, I don't think I need a water texture for the falls, maybe just a cloud layer and a warper pushing a simple shape mask  controlling the blending of some stretched Y noise.

I'm increasingly finding that to create good rock, I need to design good landscape for it to look right. This is an attempt at doing that.

TheBadger

Interesting. I like this subject and I am surprised there is not more done with this idea. Google pulls way fewer images than I thought it would.
It has been eaten.