Volcano

Started by Dune, May 10, 2012, 10:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ares2101

I've been wondering how to make those volcanic plumes.  Making a localized cloud with a large depth doesn't seem to do it, I just get a round cloud no matter the depth.

Dune

Use a quite soft circular simple shape (position in terrain, not final position or it won't warp) that is warped X and Z (and perhaps a little Y) wise. Use that to blend your billowed cloud fractal and play with the fractal specs to get it right. I made two colors with two cloud fractals on two cloud bases.

bla bla 2

ares2101

Quote from: Dune on May 14, 2012, 10:56:08 AM
Use a quite soft circular simple shape (position in terrain, not final position or it won't warp) that is warped X and Z (and perhaps a little Y) wise. Use that to blend your billowed cloud fractal and play with the fractal specs to get it right. I made two colors with two cloud fractals on two cloud bases.

OK, I seem to have gotten a start, but I'm not sure I'm tweaking the right stuff.  Any chance you could post a TGD, TGC or just screen pics of the right nodes so I can compare?

jo

Hi Ulco,

Looking good :-). This sort of thing is a big benefit of the node network. The basic idea is very like the Lava from WaterWorks for v0.9, which was really quite a simple effect, but instead you can implement this in the node network without it needing to be done in a plugin. And it's looking much better :-).

Does it have any luminosity? A bit of that could be effective.

Regards,

Jo

Dune

Thanks, Jo. Yes, it does have luminosity. Three layers (red basic and 2x orange, blended by 2 voronoi scales near the down ends, where the lava cools and the black crust appears). This might be 'cool' if I'd make some better flow maps in World Machine, as this just drawn in PS, and the terrain acts upon that. I couldn't have done his without working in the node network. 
I changed the overall appearance to a more frightening one by adding an orange-brown cloud and leaving out shadows from surfaces. Low res for now.

Oshyan

That last one is looking really good! Nice work.

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

You have achieved he frightening look. This last render is the best yet in this thread.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

masonspappy

Very, very well done. The clincher is the lava - glowing red hot underneath with a darker, fractured crust forming on top of the flow

TheBadger

Image 2 on page one still has the best foreground! But everything else in the last image^^ Is much better now! Really looking great  Ulco.

You must do a simple animation test or two, to see what can be done to make the lava move. If you can get it to look even close to real, you could use it as an animated matte for the back ground of some video.
Since you like historical subject mater, maybe an image or two of Pompeii?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/Pompeii_the_last_day_1.jpg/220px-Pompeii_the_last_day_1.jpg
It has been eaten.

Dune

Animation of the lava is hardly possible as it is a mask, and it won't roll downcrater following deepest areas.... well.... maybe still.... if I could blend that mask by another widening mask, which is animated... still hard, but maybe possible.
I like image 2 because the crust is so varied. I used another warper in there. Maybe I'll make a combination, and I might get the chance to have this properly animated as part of another venue  ;)
I do think to reduce the shine on the crust and make it more crust like.

Kadri

The lava looks good Ulco. Animating could be hard as you said but would be interesting to see really !
Thanks for the file :)

Dune

Here's a next test without all the smoke. Still some things to take care of.