Volcano

Started by Dune, May 10, 2012, 10:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Exactly as the title says.

Hetzen

Some nice textures and techniques in there. The yellow in the lower lava texture could do with being more orange than green imo. It might work with using an "add colour" with it to get some white hotspots.

Zairyn Arsyn

the smoke plume looks very good

but the lava flows dont look as realistic as they would in real life, doesnt have that "flowing" look.

but great job anyways.

WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Dune

I'll see what I can do. I threw in some voronoi to get hot cracks, but initially only had warped ridges, which might have been better. I put more black in the lower end to get cooling rock.

Hetzen

Quote from: zaai-three-nine on May 10, 2012, 11:02:11 AM
doesnt have that "flowing" look.

I think rather than cutting a channel, the lava would be a flowing lump, so rather than a negative displacment on your flows, make it positive maybe.

Dune

Ah nice. I'll see if I can do that. I do have some + displacement in the flows, but apparently not near enough.

mhaze

Nice use of the old SSShader!

Dune

No SSshader this time, but it is procedural, and could be done with a set of SSshaders as well. What I need to find out (again) is how to get this bulging over its sides idea. Like how fake stones work, but then from a soft mask. I don't know if redirect works in either direction. So, if you take a round SSshader as a basic mask, and make it into a mushroom, without using height restriction! Back to the drawing table.....
You're making this hard, Jon  ;)

EDIT: Got it.

TheBadger

Like this Ulco. Keep going for sure!

Also, would you mind sharing the details for the foreground smoke. I know thats probably the simplest thing you did here, but it interests me anyway.
It has been eaten.

Dune

This is about what I can do. Only forgot to change the dust distribution, so it's all a bit reflective now. And this is the smoke, TheBadger... nothing really.

FrankB

looks great Ulco!

TheBadger

Image two foreground is really great now! Amazing! Do more!!! The back ground though looks flat to me.
Thanks for the smoke Ulco 8)
It has been eaten.

Dune

Another version. This time I forgot to eliminate the voronoi in the luminosity at the higher end, and to raise the lava streams there. So, it still needs work.

Henry Blewer

It's impressive, no matter what has been forgotten.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Different setup, but low quality renders for the time being. One with a simple painted (PS) mask, the second is procedural, but the lines are ... well, just lines.

And to celebrate this I have let a lot of glowing balloons up  :D