PTEXed me

Started by TheBadger, May 25, 2012, 03:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Thanks, j meyer.

Could you or someone recommend software you use and like for polycount reduction.
It has been eaten.

Mandrake

Quote from: TheBadger on May 29, 2012, 04:50:36 AM
Thanks, j meyer.

Could you or someone recommend software you use and like for polycount reduction.

In ZBrush you would use the decimation master, a free plugin.

rcallicotte

Yeah, Decimation master works okay.  I have not had great success with it or any other, actually.  But, I'm probably an exception.  What really is important is after you decimate to be able to retopologize and for that you will find zBrush will eventually have an even better solution.  But, 3D Coat's retopology tools are very nice.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

TheBadger

Hello on this again.

I was just reading about the fact that PTEX is now open source with full SDK.
Thanks to Penang and Calico for posting info about it. I doubt I would have heard of it otherwise. Also, it gives me a chance to prod staff a little more on this subject ;D

But I think I would rather just ask politely if the open source development changes anything since the last time we talked about this.

?
It has been eaten.

Matt

I thought it had been open source for quite some time. It's on our radar but we haven't made specific plans to use it yet.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

TheBadger

Thanks  for answering Matt. I did not know that it was always open.
Please let us know when you decide something final. I'm very interested in this tech.
It has been eaten.

Andrew March

So, what are the export/import file type options?

The site has very little info on what it actually supports and no information on intergration into your production pipeline.