Bierstadt experiment

Started by Dune, June 05, 2012, 02:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

As for the hole in the clouds you (or anyone else) could try making a localized
cloud shape of your choice,a ridged tower like blob for instance,and then move
it via transform shader to where you want it and subtract it from your main
cloud,that should come close to what was suggested earlier in this thread.

Just tried this cannot make it work at all.  Has anyone actually succeeded in making this work?

squirreltape

Wow... fantastic project and very nicely executed indeed :)

There would more than likely be a possible issue with using a real DTM to copy a painting, rather than a photo ... landscape artists tend to change real scenes (to varying degrees) to improve their composition on the canvas rather than faithfully record exact details.  It would certainly get close but I'd wager that the real view would differ from the painting (you may find the landscape arranged differently with exaggerations etc and sometimes even whole mountains that weren't there)... but it would depend on how faithful you wanted to be I suppose.

Brilliant experiment so far though

Best wishes, Mark
There are only 10 types of people in the world... those that understand binary and those that don't

Dune

I just tried it; works fine. Here's a quicky.

mhaze

Yes I got that working - I was trying to use a localized cloud subtracted from the main cloud layer but could not get it to work.  Strange thing was I could see in the preview window that I had a hole in the cloud but it just didn't show up in the render preview!

Dune

Another version. Not quite finished, raw from TG.

squirreltape

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those that understand binary and those that don't

badvok

otakar

Ok, the foreground and that lit up wall with the waterfalls as well as the lake - just first class. Unbelievable stuff.

choronr

mesocyclone

Wow!! Beautiful!
I have posted that image on the forum some time ago: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=14615.0
And didn't wonder that it would inspire such beautiful artwork...
Amazing! :)

Dune

Yeah, thanks for that, mesocyclone. That did spark it off. 

ra

Very impressive work. The last one is awesome. Though I would prefer an untouched landscape without a hut  ::)
Mouthwash? We don't need no stinking mouthwash!! [MI2]
See what I see: www.earthlings.com
http://dinjai.deviantart.com

Tangled-Universe

I've seen some of his paintings in the MH The Young Museum (it was I believe) in San Francisco, a couple of weeks ago. Also in London and Paris they have some if I recall correctly. Beautiful paintings mostly.

I think you reproduced the atmosphere and feel pretty well here.
I'm not so sure about the curvature and thickness of the waterfalls though. They are bit too curved and quite thin, I *think*.
For a nice isolated area of direct lighting I sometimes cut a hole in the cloud-layer with a distance shader and move that around until I get the directly exposed area in the right position. Quite cool to do, because it offers a lot of space to play with shadows and light. Obviously you knew this already and perhaps you did that here :)