Over wild skies

Started by FrankB, June 19, 2012, 10:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hi guys, I realize I haven't posted anything in a while. Actually I haven't been using TG2 in months now.

Here is something I have played with yesterday. I was in a plane recently and we were going through some fantastic, wild, multi layered skies, and the sight was truly amazing.

I have tried to capture some of that impression in this render. Hope you enjoy!

Cheers,
Frank

inkydigit

amazing clouds Frank...I too have seen clouds like this from a plane, you have captured them perfectly!
:)

Simius Strabus

Spot-on! Very convincing clouds, like it!
Why stop dreaming when you wake up?

iMac i7 2.8GHz 8Gb

Walli

Kadri

Yes like i said on  Facebook it is good Frank !
The only difference is that the noise is here a little more obvious . But i think it's not a problem :)

TheBadger

I have to say that those clouds are very real looking! Worthy of an animation.
It has been eaten.

FrankB

thank you all, it's good to get some encouraging feedback after a long break :-)

FrankB

Finally I have been able to continue to work on this. I am not sure it's better than the first version, although I do like the light scattering inside the fat cloud on the right :-)

Tangled-Universe

Cool work Frank :) Having fun with your new beast ;D

I still find the scattering in the fat cloud not right ;)
It's a huge fat cloud and therefore it shouldn't be possible to look through it or see light being scattered that way.
Only clouds more close up look that way imo.

TheBadger

Looks like you made a lot of improvements particularly with cloud quality.

I would agree with T-U about the glow/light if the image was from the ground. But from the air it does not bother me at all.
Having photographed clouds from high altitude, I know that its is not enough to show things as they are, how they really look from that high up never captures how it makes you feel.

The glow/light adds to the emotion of the image for me.

So if real, no. If art, yes.
It has been eaten.

FrankB

Hey guys, thanks for the comments!
As I have said earlier, I have tried to remake a real scene I saw up there in a plane. I assure you some of the big clouds had a similar light scattering as here in this render. Not all big clouds are actually very dense. I don't know how often you are actually up there, but as someone who is having this experience about twice a week, I can tell you it's not so unusual as you might think. I might still increase the density in future renders slightly, but only ever so little.

Anyway, I will probably move on from this image to a similar one. I have another one in mind, also with multi layered clouds.
Secondly, I would like to develop the ground a little further. I need to make it look less artificial, somehow.

@Martin, yes, my "bea$t" is a lot of fun! I don't really have a good measure except that old benchmark scene, but in my scenes it feels like it's twice as fast as my old PC. I always said I will only upgrade for at least 2 times the speed, and the new PC is giving me that.

- Frank

Zairyn Arsyn

liking this series a lot, :)

These Clouds in both iterations are the real deal!! ;)

though ground surface takes a little away from this series, i can see the angular voronoi lines/cracks, takes some realism away from the image.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

FrankB

thank you! Yes, the ground is more a placeholder to help assess scale and depth, than being anything final :-)

TheBadger

TWICE A WEEK! Not even close to that. But now I am more interested in your life than your renders ;) International spy? Jet setting billionaire? Or do you just know of a good place to get cheap air fair? Whichever, it sounds like a fun life 8)
It has been eaten.

choronr

Now that is looking fine Frank. The land below gives a nice sense of scale.