5000 years ago

Started by Dune, June 25, 2012, 02:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Trying to make our coastline about 5000 years ago (Viking ship added for sense of size), when the first sand bars changed into rows of dunes and the hinterland was a marshy flat wilderness. All procedural, and I'm now trying to procedurally make some interesting dune shapes, such as sickle dunes. Perhaps a perlin 3D with a slightly moved perlin 3D subtracted....
The river is too rough, will change that, and I will try to warp the dunes in the 'estuary' more by the river (I have an idea).

Tangled-Universe

Very convincing start, already :)

I'd like to make a couple of suggestions, probably they are on your to do list anyway :)
The wavescale is huge, hence the large waves slightly to the bottom right of the ship, they look like they are 10+ metres high.
The inlet of the river is too straight and sharp. Perhaps you could give it a bit more delta-like structure.

I'm veeery curious to see if you can pull off to make some procedural dunes. That would be awesome!
I tried it too before, just with fractals, and gave up quickly.
The perlin function sounds like a good idea, why didn't I think of that too :)

Looking forward to your next iteration Ulco :)

Martin

Dune

Thanks, Martin. Good to see you're back, by the way. Had a good time overseas?

The waves are indeed too large, and need more 'structure'. I had to find a way to get them at sea + in the inlet, but not too much between the ridges. Easy enough with a painted shader, but I wanted to combine, rotate and counter rotate the warped simple shapes to get it right. So it's 5 simple shapes now, and the river indeed needs a little more 'estuary', and less 'kronkel'.
I'm now concentrating on dunes, and made something with warped, blended and redirected voronoi.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

choronr

Very good start to an interesting project. Looking forward to your progress.

Dune

That may take a while as I have now a tgd file that can't be opened  >:( (Sent it to Jo)

Seth

Tangled-Universe

Dune

:P

Jo fixed it, so thanks to him I can continue my coastal thing. Strangely, I must have saved the file with a loop in it. Which I would never have done deliberately. A quick update of the close up shot, without the erosion that formed the strange tracks.

Dune

Ah, almost forgot; what could be that line in the sea towards the horizon? I noticed in another render some parallel lines occurring as well. That was a heathland with small scale hillocks, but they seemed to run in parallel lines towards the horizon as well, in some areas.   

Tangled-Universe

Hi Ulco,

USA was beautiful and very nice, seen a lot of great things!

I don't see anything strange in the water? No lines or whatsoever? Can you post the same crop at higher resolution?
You can try disabling the wind-patch effect and see if that helps.
It's not the kind of lines which show up when you don't use micro-vertex jittering, so that can't be it I suppose.

Dune

It's a 45 degree thin whitish line starting from the arrow and in the same direction down-left. I see if I can (of course I can) make s crop render in high resolution.

Tangled-Universe

Ah yes I think I can see them now.
Those do look like artifacts which normally should be removed by microvertex jittering.
What are your detail and AA settings? Is the water the watershader or a reflective shader?

Dune

Here's a bigger example, but the line seems to shrink when rendered larger, but is also visible in an exr.  It's a lake with a water shader, but without transparency, so actually a reflective shader with waves. Detail is 0.7, AA 8 as it is. So it shouldn't happen, I'd say. It happens to be the exact x=0 line.

I see if I can find the heathland file and render a portion large. I wiped the 'lines' away there in PS.

cyphyr

If it's happening in the exact x=0 point then I would shift the lake object to the left or right so it's out of view. I've had this issue before with lakes and planes being "broken" and the zero point, particularly if there are subject to some very heavy or fine displacements.
cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)