Seeking Dark Purple Leaf Tree Model(s)

Started by ares2101, July 01, 2012, 04:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ares2101

I'm working on an image with trees of lots of different colors, but one color I want eludes me, I can't find one anywhere in my Xfrog plants, purple.  In Connecticut, we have some trees which are seriously dark purple (a maple from what I remember of their leaves) and I've seen pics of other shades, but all I can find in my possession are bright-red Red Maples and pink Kanzan Cherries.  Does anyone know of any distinctly purple tree models that work in TG2?  I've looked around a bit and haven't had any luck.  Preferably I want to use something similar in shade to this below, purple, not pinkish or reddish.

gregsandor

You can modify the shaders and make the leaves any color you want.

ares2101

Quote from: gregsandor on July 01, 2012, 04:40:27 PM
You can modify the shaders and make the leaves any color you want.

I can?  I thought they got their color from the textures applied to them.  I remember once having trouble with some 3DS plant looking totally black because of a broken file path.  How do I change it?

cyphyr

Looks exactly like a copper beach to me.

If you're not going to get too close I'd just find a tree in your Xfrog collection that matches the shape you want and re-colour the leaves in Photoshop (Images>Adjust>Hue/Saturation, and save them under a new name of course!). Then re-assign the leaves of your chosen tree in it's internal network.

Good luck

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bigben

PoseRay is good for preparing models for importing into TG. You can set it to move the textures into the same path as the object which makes life a lot easier. Are people still using this application?

ares2101

Quote from: cyphyr on July 01, 2012, 05:47:21 PM
Looks exactly like a copper beach to me.

If you're not going to get too close I'd just find a tree in your Xfrog collection that matches the shape you want and re-colour the leaves in Photoshop (Images>Adjust>Hue/Saturation, and save them under a new name of course!). Then re-assign the leaves of your chosen tree in it's internal network.

Good luck

Richard

That one was a Copper Beech, yes.  That idea sounds simple (and in hindsight) obvious enough to work.  I don't have photoshop, but GIMP probably has that ability, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Thanks.

gregsandor

You don't have to recolor the leaf textures (though that's also a useful method sometimes).  Set up a shader to add or multiply a color through the existing texture. 

bobbystahr

Quote from: bigben on July 01, 2012, 05:51:32 PM
PoseRay is good for preparing models for importing into TG. You can set it to move the textures into the same path as the object which makes life a lot easier. Are people still using this application?

daily Ben...daily, sometimes hourly, heh heh heh....trés handy
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

gregsandor

Quote from: bigben on July 01, 2012, 05:51:32 PM

I've never used it.

bigben

It's good for people without 3D modelling software.  And here's a suggested quick tweak to adjust a green leaf texture
[attach=1]

Matt

Quote from: gregsandor on July 01, 2012, 11:56:18 PM
You don't have to recolor the leaf textures (though that's also a useful method sometimes).  Set up a shader to add or multiply a color through the existing texture.

Even simpler, you can change the diffuse colour in the Default Shader. It is just a multiplier for the texture colour. If the original texture isn't too saturated then you should be able to turn it dark red/purple this way.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

ares2101

Quote from: Matt on July 02, 2012, 08:57:50 PM
Quote from: gregsandor on July 01, 2012, 11:56:18 PM

Even simpler, you can change the diffuse colour in the Default Shader. It is just a multiplier for the texture colour. If the original texture isn't too saturated then you should be able to turn it dark red/purple this way.

Hm, I already had good results changing the texture, but I'll have to try this, it would be simpler in the long run.