Population question

Started by yossam, August 04, 2012, 05:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yossam

I don't know if this is just me or not, but sometimes when I add a population to a scene some of the other populations automatically re-populate. The populations have no changes made to them, just the addition of another non related population. It can be very annoying at times, especially when you have a very dense population and have to wait on it. I've only noticed this since the update. The re-population happens when I render the scene.

Tangled-Universe

This has been worse, but also much improved over the past years. As far as I know it shouldn't repopulate when you add another population, but I also noticed that it does repopulate after modifications to the atmosphere. Also it doesn't repopulate when you changed your density shaders' settings.

As far as I know the guys at PS are aware of this all.

yossam

I appreciate the answer T-U, it's about to drive me up the wall sometimes. I never noticed it until 2.4 came out.

Henry Blewer

I have noticed this also. I have adjusted to it. By using smaller sample areas for setting up a population, the wait time for recalculation is reduced. I then resize the population when I am ready for a quality render.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Upon Infinity

Are they repopulating into different seeds (as in physically moving the objects from where they were) or merely re-calculating them?  I haven't noticed this phenomenon yet and I use populations all the time, although perhaps mine aren't as large.

yossam

They just re-calculate on their on, with no changes made to them. T-U is right about the atmospheric changes also, and the density shader settings.

Oshyan

I couldn't replicate either of these repopulating issues with a simple test just now, but that doesn't mean they're not happening. If either if you have a consistently reproducible issue, outline the specific steps to reproduce and I can file a bug on it.

- Oshyan

yossam

Oshyan,

This is happening with just about every scene that I do that has populations. I wouldn't know how to tell you how to reproduce the issue. I will pay more attention to the problem the next time I have issues and send you the file to see if you can tell anything from that.

Thanks.

Oshyan

Thanks, sounds good.

- Oshyan