TG2+Blender: Glowing Spaceship Exhaust

Started by ares2101, August 20, 2012, 05:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ares2101

To make a long story short, there's a contest I'm intending to enter and one of the images I want to do is a space scene involving a spaceship complete with glowing exhaust.  My question is this; using the program Blender (with which my skill is not great), how can I create said effect in such a way that can show up in an OBJ imported into TG2.  At the very least, an improved version of the below (ship's on the ground for illustrative purposes), which involves a semi-transparent purple cone with Luminosity cranked up on its TG2 shader. 

Again, it doesn't need a fancy solution so long as it is something realistic enough to not stand out in a TG2 render.  I haven't found much on doing stuff like this with Blender and TG2.

Upon Infinity

You might achieve 'something' by using a localized cloud layer (lots of depth, but small radius) with a lot of coverage but not so much density.  2 problems with this however, would be controlling falloff of the exhaust from close to where the exhaust exits the ship to where it dissipates in space and controlling intensity for the same reason.  You'd have to be fairly familiar with TG's node network in order to manipulate that single layer in such a way, which I am not.  Or, you could try several similar layers to achieve a similar effect.  Perhaps even a larger, even less dense layer around the entire thing to give it that 'glow', which may be accomplished by putting a minor light source right at the exhaust point, as well. 

In any event, I'm curious to see the final result.

Dune

You can make a image map of a soft white circle on black, use that with a camera (small angle) set up 'in the rocket', blend the map by a set of distance shaders to control length of the exhaust fumes. Set ambient cloud color to something quite high for very light cloud.

ares2101

I suppose I should add a couple of things.  First, the ship is meant to be one with a rather advanced engine, plasma or even antimatter.  I'm skeptical clouds could be used to get that effect, maybe for a chemical rocket, but not an engine so hot as to be violet.  I'd also prefer to do this effect within Blender if possible, seeing as I'm going to be using it in a space scene, which can get tricky by themselves, and well above any atmosphere.  Can clouds render that high in TG2?

Does anyone here use Blender?

Kadri

If this is not an animation doing this in post work would be much easier !

ares2101

Quote from: Kadri on August 21, 2012, 02:22:38 PM

If this is not an animation doing this in post work would be much easier !

Hm, post work is a possibility, but my skill with that is limited.  I use GIMP sometimes to adjust color or add glare to a sun in a space shot.  Below is a variant with a Gradient Flare from GIMP.  I think I like the effect and will use it, but I still need to do something more to the exhaust cone or replace it with something else.

Kadri

There are many ways , but you could look here too on the second page , if you didn't saw it before Ares2101 :

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=14566.0

ares2101

Quote from: Kadri on August 21, 2012, 05:55:32 PM

There are many ways , but you could look here too on the second page , if you didn't saw it before Ares2101 :

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=14566.0

Hm, that method looks promising, I'll have to take a closer look at that.

masonspappy

I was playing with this a while back - trying to come up with the ghostly blue glow from an Ion engine.
- First, load a cone shape in blender.  Under "materials" set its diffuse color to solid black (0therwise this won't work).
- subdivide the heck out of the cone!!! The more subdivisions, the better!
- save the cone with a .obj extension, then import into terragen.
- under the 'surface shader' tab for the cone object,  click on the green plus sign to open the 'go to parts shader' dialog
-in the parts shader dialog select 'edit internal network'.
- Now insert the .TGC file included here.
- Break the connection between the red material shader and the gray material box
- connect the output of the .tgc file to the gray material box
- now add a light source, color it blue and position inside the cone,  toward the large end.

Render the image. With a little luck you'll see a blue, semi-transparent flame  like in the picture  I've attached.  You may need to play with the color and intensity settings.  The ion glow is too sharp, so at this point I load the rendered image in Paint Shop and guassian blur the entire blue cone and the effect is what is seen in the 2nd picture.  It's not perfect, but it met my needs. BTW, I "think" the .tgc file comes from Dandelo. Not certain though.
- Cam

ares2101

OK, I combined Masonpuppy's method with the Gradient Flare in GIMP and came up with this.  With a bit of tweaking to the model and method, I think this could work well for the final image once I make it.

inkydigit

looks good ares2101
I used a different method for my anti gravity ray:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=11473.msg117166
but you could easily adapt it for your scene...
:)
J

ares2101

Seeing as the semester just started back up, I think I'm going to stick with the previous method rather than try to master something new.  I did however make a new model to go with it.

goldfarb

things like this are really better done in compositing...

and just a general note on lens flares - they ALWAYS go through the center of the frame...ALWAYS.
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada