Canyon WIP

Started by Dune, September 01, 2012, 04:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

You guys inspire me to do everything, so here's a canyon. Not too good yet, but it's a start. This brings to mind that I'd like to try and make a canyon railroad... you know... steep canyon, track hollowed out in one side. I'll try to find some reference.

Dune

Maybe something like this.

TheBadger

Great start Ulco!

My only thought as you begin is that maybe you should not do a desert canyon. Deserts canyons are cool, but there were a few already.
But something with lots of green I have only seen a few of in the last year.
Not tropical. But something "middle earth" *like* would be sweet! Train or no train.

Just a suggestion thats all.
It has been eaten.

choronr

Love those desert canyons; and, what you have here is an excellent start. My wife and I took a railroad trip in the Verde River Canyon. This is in Cottonwood, Arizona. Here is a link to the railroad: http://verdecanyonrr.com/

Jo Kariboo

Perhaps a wip but I very like this image!!!

Dune

I'll keep that in mind, Ty. And thanks for the link, Bob. I wish the USA was down the road from here, love to take that train. I found some photo's of that particular track.

Here's a very early layout test, but VERY early.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

bla bla 2

Dune

The horse is still there, but the terrain is changing fast  :o

mhaze

Looking good, rocks coming along nicely. Look forward to the next installments.

Dune

Big, but no good yet.

Tangled-Universe

Cool concept Ulco.
You will probably agree with me that the canyon itself still needs some work.
What kind of canyon are you after? Do you use a reference or do you have something specific in your mind?

Dune

I'll probably change the scene to more like the reference I included above. With the river and not the huge overhangs. Usually my terrains grow from random settings, I then find a nice POV and refine. But I'm not happy with this either, so I full-heartedly agree, Martin.

Tangled-Universe

That's a challenging reference :)

You can get that slated rock look by using a very tilted strata layer (>60 degrees) and then some fiddling with tilt direction (dependant on your camera rotation). If you then breakup that strata with a PF then you will get slated rock parts here and there as you can see in your reference.
I'm just spitting out thoughts here on what I would try. No guarantees it will work ;D

Dune

I'll just give it a go. I aim for something quite photographic, so I shouldn't make too fancy outcrops  ::)