Prometheus and Some How-To

Started by rcallicotte, October 12, 2012, 12:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

http://www.itsartmag.com/features/creating-the-planet-in-prometheus/#.UHg7jq7N3Tp

This looks like something TG2 could have helped to do.  At about 5:00 in the video, he says some of the frames rendered at about eight hours per frame.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Zairyn Arsyn

fo' sure, maybe they possibly considered it. i dunno tho'

i'm wondering what resolution the rendered the frames at...
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Kadri

Really sad , so much effort and good vfx in a so bad movie!
Thanks for the links guys  :)

AP

Ridley Scott is the kind of person who want's to minimize the use of CG as much as he can within reason as he stated he is a realist so as many sets on on site location shooting was implemented as much as possible. I think he would rather have photographic texture mapping mattes of real locations used rather then procedural terrains unless the situation had to call for it which i can not see why it had to here because it looks good the way it was done. However, not to say it could not have been done. I am working on recreating that landscape at the moment which is a challenge to say the least. The rock pillars in particular are hard to do.

The trouble with Prometheus is you have a visually good looking film with an interesting amount of mystery to it. The main problem was the character motivations and attitudes made these people seem like inexperienced childish morons on a state of the art ship supposedly with the best of the best on a high dollar mission far away from earth.

Andrew March

While I agree in part with what you are saying I have to say I think the biggest problem with the film was actually the hype and how it was built up to be the all singing all dancing prequel to Alien. Taken as a stand alone film it's nowhere near as bad as some have said it is but it certainly falls short of the mark.

AP

The Hype for certain was way to blown up. It became obnoxious.

efflux

It was very interesting to see how they did this.

It points to a problem with TG2. That Wadi Rum place is re-creatable in TG2 without even importing terrain. Unless you need it to be exactly that terrain. The problem in doing this is that initially you have a concept like the one Ridley Scott had but to recreate this completely in TG2 requires a lot of technical tweakery and know how for the terrain hence they don't use TG2. Easier to just build a stage set in a standard 3D app. TG2 users should by now have all sorts of various technical solutions to create certain styles of terrain. For example, all that slashed look when you view the Wadi Rum from above is achievable in TG2.

As for the movie. I watched it again. I agree with a lot of the criticism of this movie but now I don't think it's quite as bad as a lot of people say. The main problem is the characters and what they do. It's not convincing and the only actor that did a really good job was Michael Fassbender. When the guy who was infected got torched by the blonde woman, for example, I couldn't have cared less because he wasn't believable or even particularly likeable in the first place. I then watched the first Alien movie and the characters were vastly superior.

TheBadger

Just wanted to let anyone who did not know... Prometheus is prequel to a prequel. The next movie is called "Paradise". And given the overwhelming complaining about Prometheus on the inerwebanet(s) I am sure the film makers are listening. As I understand it. Paradise will be the prequel to Alien.

But I did read this on line. So...

Personally I think making the people in the movie all idiots was a smack at the idea of corporations. It was deliberate that the characters were as you guys have said.
Wayland corp in the movie is in the Alien universe, a conglomerate of every company you have ever hated.

Hollywood has an agenda, fellas... Just saying.

It has been eaten.

efflux

Quote from: TheBadger on December 12, 2012, 02:48:38 AM
Just wanted to let anyone who did not know... Prometheus is prequel to a prequel. The next movie is called "Paradise". And given the overwhelming complaining about Prometheus on the inerwebanet(s) I am sure the film makers are listening. As I understand it. Paradise will be the prequel to Alien.

But I did read this on line. So...

Personally I think making the people in the movie all idiots was a smack at the idea of corporations. It was deliberate that the characters were as you guys have said.
Wayland corp in the movie is in the Alien universe, a conglomerate of every company you have ever hated.

Hollywood has an agenda, fellas... Just saying.

I don't really know if this was the idea. I think it was mostly bad acting and the fact that the characters did things that didn't really make sense. Then ludicrous things like doing the caesarean then running around afterwards. If it wasn't for Michael Fassbender the movie would have probably been dire. The way he kind of emulated Peter O'Toole in Lawrence Of Arabia was a good move.

efflux

Also, I think the whole success of the Alien movies completely hinges on H. R. Giger. They were still milking him in Prometheus. Even the dome rock was one of his old concepts. I think it was meant for use in Dune. Obviously Bladerunner relies on Philip K. Dick's book. Ridley Scott knows how to technically make a good movie but he falls short in other areas like story, concepts and script. Having said that, he's probably a hell of a lot better than most Hollywood directors.

I think the engineer concept in Prometheus was not bad but it just doesn't gel with Giger's concept of the "space Jockey" thing in Alien. I don't think that was meant to be a guy in a suit.

TheBadger

QuoteI don't really know if this was the idea
I basically agree with everything your saying. I was just saying that in the alien universe, wayland is supposed to be the "evil corporation". And that is very deliberate. But everything else you said is still probably true.
It has been eaten.

zaxxon

I agree that the 'Giger' vision fueled so much of the original Alien movie, Scott was able to set a real gritty off-world sense of the macabre. Prometheus was just a bit 'lame' IMO. The politics of Hollywood though are incredibly curious. The actors for the most part espouse 'liberal' causes, yet the industry seems as avaricious as any in the USA. Here's a link to the Congressional Research Service (an impartial and respected voice in Washington). Basically, the Movie Industry, like many other Corporate powerhouses, is busy out-sourcing jobs, rewarding senior management with obscene (my opinion only) pay levels and worst of all providing the impetus and funding for draconian restrictions on free speech on the internet. Former US Senator Chris Dodd (former head of several Senate Banking and Finance committees) now serves as the highly paid lobbyist for the Movie Industry pushing for even more repressive internet laws. Think about the FBI warning on all commercial US movie copies threatening fines of 500,000 US dollars and 5 years imprisonment for copying a $20 disk! What would you have to steal to even come close to such a threatening punishment? How many 'serious' crimes settle for far less, and this is a 'Federal' matter to boot!

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111212/02244817037/congressional-research-service-shows-hollywood-is-thriving.shtml

efflux

Yeah, I noticed that $500,000 fine thing. It's utterly ludicrous.

I actually think Ridley Scott puts some very interesting and cool things in his movies but he needs input from other people like a story. There are a lot of interconnecting references to things in his movies. The opening to Bladerunner is especially awesome with an awesome soundtrack. A lot of shots are beautifully set up. George Lucas is a great movie maker as well but he badly needs the scripts and stories to be better sorted. That's why the last Star Wars movies were underwhelming. Fantastic look but some of the dialog was very poor. This creates a problem for actors. How do you bring to life an unbelievable part? I think you can be a great director but a great movie only comes about if you direct all the elements properly including script and story.

rcallicotte

Roger!  You are so right.

Maybe being a great director isn't all there is to making a good movie.  :)

Quote from: efflux on December 13, 2012, 10:55:56 PM
Yeah, I noticed that $500,000 fine thing. It's utterly ludicrous.

I actually think Ridley Scott puts some very interesting and cool things in his movies but he needs input from other people like a story. There are a lot of interconnecting references to things in his movies. The opening to Bladerunner is especially awesome with an awesome soundtrack. A lot of shots are beautifully set up. George Lucas is a great movie maker as well but he badly needs the scripts and stories to be better sorted. That's why the last Star Wars movies were underwhelming. Fantastic look but some of the dialog was very poor. This creates a problem for actors. How do you bring to life an unbelievable part? I think you can be a great director but a great movie only comes about if you direct all the elements properly including script and story.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?