Terragen Update problems

Started by pclavett, December 03, 2012, 05:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pclavett

Hi All !
Just Updated to the new build of Terragen 2 for Mac and first try was not very successful unfortunately.....crashes on Rendering with messages of unknown error at Render. Few tries gives same results.....anyone else have this ???
Thanks !
Paul

jo

Hi Paul,

What version of OS X and which Mac do you have?

Can you send me a project file you're having trouble with please? You can email it to me at jomeder@planetside.co.uk. We didn't make any particularly significant renderer changes so I'm a bit surprised you're having problems.

Regards,

Jo

pclavett

Hi Jo
I was running it on my laptop which is the new MacBook Pro With the Retina display, 15 inch display, running 10.7.5.
Note that I took the same file and ran it with the previous version with no difficulty but then when I tried to re-run this on the new version...I noticed that it launched as the 32 Bit version. I when to the Info window and saw that it was checked as a 32 Bit launch. Unchecked that option and now it launched as 64 Bit. I am running the same tgd at this point and so far it seems to go well. Will let you know how this turns out. That may have been the problem as the 32 Bit version seem to have some problems with files that were initially concocted with the 64 Bit version.....or that is what it seems to me from past experience.....and this file was done on the 64 Bit to start with. Do you think that this explains it ??? Note that I have no working knowledge of the intricate details of how this software works and this may make no sense !!! Will let you know how this turns out and send you the file if it does not pan out ! Thanks and BTW...does this 64 Bit version solve the tgo saving issues (with partially transparent plants) that did not come out right with the 64 Bit version of the previous build ???
Take Care !
Paul

jo

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear you sorted it out. I'm not sure why it's starting in 32 bit. I did make some changes to the startup architecture but they should only have effected the PPC version. It's a tricky one to test too. I think this is probably the problem you were having. The messages you were getting would be the sort of thing I'd expect if it was running out of memory.

Unfortunately it doesn't fix the 64 bit TGO issue. Somewhere along the line that got left out, even though I have fixed and tested it! Sorry about that. We will aim for an update with this fix in the not too distant future.

Regards,

Jo

pclavett

Thanks Jo !
In 64 Bit mode the render went without a glitch ! So this was definitely the problem. No problem with the TGO isssue for now as I simply duplicated the Terragen application and checked the 32 Bit mode on one and tagged the application with a 32 to recognize it and simply work around the issue that way. Thanks for all the work and efforts....appreciated !
Take Care !
Paul