Upper and Lower Humbug Lakes

Started by zaxxon, December 07, 2012, 10:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

Some more small steps in learning the program. The past conversations on this forum have provided a good library of techniques. This is a procedural landscape from power fractals with some fake rocks limited by elevation and slope. Lots of trees! (Xfrog white Pine). Had lots of fun manipulating the clouds to create a 'hole in the sky' to light the central promentory.

Simius Strabus

Why stop dreaming when you wake up?

iMac i7 2.8GHz 8Gb

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

masonspappy

Nice image.
I think the foreground rocks need to be quite a bit smaller, as they look huge compared to the pines.

zaxxon

Hey Masonspappy, I think your right. There are a couple of layers of different sized rocks, unfortunately I believe they've 'stacked' on top of each other at that altitude. Still looking to find a better technique to 'order' the fake rocks by area and local coverage/density.

Henry Blewer

Use a merge node. You want to set the Mix Control to merge by highest. Just input two fake stone shaders. If you want more fake stone shaders, add another merge node and input the first merge node and the next fake stone shader.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

zaxxon

Thanks for the tip regarding the merge node Henry, not sure if it is apparent in this final image, I'm going to continue to apply it in my next projects. I also changed the stone sizes and coverages, and hopefully the scale is more believable. Also, swapped out the tree population to xfrog's white spruce. Hard to decide on the next project, after reading so many past posts in the forum my head's swimming with possibilities...