Dutch winter sunrise

Started by Tangled-Universe, December 14, 2012, 02:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Thanks a lot guys! :)
An improved version is on its way though!

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Jason :)

Here's the final!

I added volumetric snow on various models using Particle Flow in 3D Max.
For the people who have 3D Max; this is a very easy procedure :)
If I can do it, anyone can do it ;)

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you like the effect!

Cheers,
Martin

Kadri

Great image Martin!
I like the snow on the objects.

Dune

Wow, this is super. And very Dutch. I like the particles of snow, wish I had 3Dmax. Very nice touch. It'll do nice on a magazine's cover  ;)

yossam

masonspappy

Hey T-U,   would it be okay for me to use this as the background on my laptop? Or is there some sort of restriction involved (that's fine if there is, just thought I would ask)

Gannaingh

Beautiful Martin! I can only hope my winter looks as pretty as this!

Oshyan

Absolutely gorgeous Martin! Nearly flawless in my opinion, aside from that little sharp terrain edge in the lower-left, as I mentioned on Facebook. :)

- Oshyan

mhaze

Wow! what a terrific piece of work. It perfectly captures those cold snowy, misty mornings most of us sleep through!

TheBadger

Hi Martin.

Even better that the first one! Makes me need to ask a question though.
The first one when viewed next to the new one looks a little muddy. The new one looks much more crisp.sharp. Is this just a question of detail settings?

Outstanding image T-U.  :o :o :o :o :o 5 drools rating!
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks a lot guys, I'm happy you all like it. I spend quite some time on this one, especially if I count in the time I spent designing the non-winter version a couple of months ago. I don't wanna know actually :)

Quote from: masonspappy on December 19, 2012, 06:53:47 PM
Hey T-U,   would it be okay for me to use this as the background on my laptop? Or is there some sort of restriction involved (that's fine if there is, just thought I would ask)

Of course, go ahead! Thanks! :)

Quote from: Oshyan on December 20, 2012, 12:47:57 AM
Absolutely gorgeous Martin! Nearly flawless in my opinion, aside from that little sharp terrain edge in the lower-left, as I mentioned on Facebook. :)

- Oshyan

Thanks Oshyan.
I agree, I need to fix this. Probably I will cover it up with some models.

Pity you can't blur these edges with the simple shape shader.
Also, when using intersect underlying, the surface layer shader interprets these edges in a really weird manner.
The edges got torn or were displaced much more than the intersect underlying settings themselves.
I had really great snow cover, much nicer than this, but it was painfully ugly at these corners :)

Anyway, I learned from it.

Quote from: TheBadger on December 20, 2012, 05:10:46 AM
Hi Martin.

Even better that the first one! Makes me need to ask a question though.
The first one when viewed next to the new one looks a little muddy. The new one looks much more crisp.sharp. Is this just a question of detail settings?

Outstanding image T-U.  :o :o :o :o :o 5 drools rating!

Thanks Michael.

The latest version was rendered with slightly lower detail settings, actually.
What you observe is the difference in rendering at a different resolution.
The first version was a crop from a 1600px (or something) wide render.
The latest one was a crop from a 3200px wide render.

The settings were:
Detail 0.55
-AA8, 1/4th first, pnt 0.03 with cubic b-spline filter.
-64 atmo samples (still gives quite some noise in the bushes near the sun, but luckily it's covered up nicely. Probably need 128 samples or so).
-All 4 cloud layer at detail 2.
-Soft shadows @ 0.25 with 15 samples. (also quite noisy, but also covered up enough by the roughness of the surfaces the shadows get cast on. On a smooth surface the lack of samples will become apparent.)
- GI 2/4/6 (this may seem low, together with 0.55 detail setting, but I couldn't find much benefit for higher settings. Likely the snow scatters the light so much that there isn't much detail in GI necessary. Only the clouds could benefit from a bit higher GI. This took long enough to render though;))

Rendertime was approx 8 hours.

Moonseed58

fantastic stuff check out my snow covered car on FB

schmeerlap

Gorgeous seasonal scene. Immaculate.
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Jo Kariboo

Beautifull !!! The snow in the trees are a very good idea and nice realisation.