My 1st sculpt

Started by TheBadger, December 29, 2012, 03:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

This is my first sculpt. I still need to learn how to get it onto my low poly, and then in to TG2. But... Not to shabby I think.

[attach=1]
It has been eaten.

Kadri

If this is all yours from zero i think we have a very good new modeler Michael  :)

TheBadger

THanks Kadri!
I followed a few tuts in Maya to get the low polly form. And then just went at it in mudbox.
I have to say I like Mudbox a TON! I never thought I would like painting my own textures, but its really one of my favorite things to do now.
Still hate UV mapping, and these workflows are a drag though.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

For me organic modelling is very hard.
I do not think that i have the talent for organic modeling.

You are progressing really fast Michael  8)

zaxxon

Tangled-Universe

That looks pretty darn cool Michael.
First I thought you started off with an example mesh of a T-rex which comes along with Mudbox, but this looks very deviated from it.
I have the student version if Mudbox as well (as Maya/Max) and I should really get started with this kind of stuff as well some time.

masonspappy

your first?  Man, that's nice!

TheBadger

Kadri,

It is funny. I feel the opposite than you. For me Hard surfaces are less appealing to try. Because there is no forgiveness, a thing is what it is, and the artist needs to get it right. But with this raptor I could decide whatever I liked. For example the skin textures; What they really looked like? Who knows? No one.

zaxxon,
Thanks

Tangled-Universe,
Thanks Man!
I think you should do it. You could easily do the forms from your "wish TG2 could do this" thread, and bring them in as models. Then do the backgrounds with TG2. Although, populating the object would be a great issue.
Let me know if you move forward on maya and mudbox. I can post a bunch of links to resources that you may find helpful/time saving.

masonspappy,
Thanks!

As for me I feel very optimistic now about being able to do the projects I have posted about in the other threads. But I wish I could understand these workflows better.
If anyone reading this has a maya-->TG2 workflow down, I would really love to see some threads on working between the two. Current Maya, TG2 versions!
It has been eaten.

Canister

This is your first sculpt? Wow.. can't wait to see what you can do in a months time or so

Zairyn Arsyn

very good
ok, now animate it and have it eat & kill some people, yes.
:D

really good for a first sculpt.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Dune

Wow, Michael, that's awfully nice. I still have to try the free sculptris, and can only hope to achieve something like that (needing some deer and reindeer).

TheBadger

Ulco,

I need some "3-views" (example here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/NF-104_3-view.jpg) of some specific but simple architectural structures. Perhaps we can make a trade?
At the very least I could make the low poly form for you to sculpt and paint. Or the fur for the finished model? see part of this thread: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=15363.0

I would not recommend you sculpt from a sphere though. Unless you enjoy the work it would be a big waist of time. The maya (or whatever soft) to mudbox (or z-brush) workflow creates the low poly shape first which is very smart if trying to do more than show off sculpting skills. like posing on a TG2 terrain, animating, or simply importing to TG2. Otherwise you will have to reverse the process and create a low poly from the 10+million poly sculpt, which makes no sense to me at all. The image above used many millions of polygons at its highest level.

But since I brought it up, and in case Ulco is not interested, does anyone here do technical drawing as a professional, or advanced hobbyist? What I want is not very complex, and you would have a lot of wiggle room anyway, since it does not have to be exactly like the reference materials I would give you.

Canister,

Zlain,
Quoteok, now animate it and have it eat & kill some people, yes.
Believe me, the hunt is on! I cant wait to show it, assuming it works out.
It has been eaten.

Seth

Zairyn Arsyn

Quote from: Dune on January 03, 2013, 03:58:16 AM
Wow, Michael, that's awfully nice. I still have to try the free sculptris, and can only hope to achieve something like that (needing some deer and reindeer).
sculptris is a awesome 3D sculpting program (and easy to use) simplistic compared to other 3D applications.

i just wish the OBJ export had a option to convert the tris to quads. sculptris only seems to use triangles in its objects.
that just means more optimization in other applications.

i use Mudbox too sometimes too, for texturing and i find it doesn't like the the objs i import from sculptris
Sculptris can only create UV texture maps up to 2048x2048
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

TheBadger

sculptris seems to me to be just a clever way to get you to buy Z-brush.
In general all modeles should be done in quads. Otherwise when you animate you can get terrible results especially in multi software workflows.
It has been eaten.