World Machine, Vue and Quadspinner (let's see what we can do, too!)

Started by rcallicotte, January 07, 2013, 03:39:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I'm just wondering if this by itself, along with some ingenuity here, can produce something similar within Terragen.  I know this is all so different, but not entirely.

http://www.cornucopia3d.com/purchase.php?item_id=11686&from=New&page=0

Admittedly, this work by Quadspinner looks great.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cyphyr

Well since it's for World Machine 2 there's no reason why we could not import the resulting terrain and masks into Terragen.
www.richardfraser.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 3900X @3.79Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 6:20)
i7 5930K @3.5Ghz, 32Gb (TG4 benchmark 13.44)

Allen-1

For the World Machine users, i created a few custom presets that anyone can use freely.

Oshyan

Indeed, those are just Macros for World Machine. That particular product can only be used with World Machine (not Vue), but the output terrain and masks can be used with Vue or Terragen (or many other apps that support World  Machine's many output formats). QuadSpinner also has a package of terrains generated by their "SuperErosion", which come in TGA and VOB formats: http://www.cornucopia3d.com/purchase.php?item_id=11687 The TGAs can be used in Terragen as well as Vue, although they're an 8 bit format, which is lower accuracy than you'd ideally want; I suppose they didn't include other 16 bit formats like TIFF or TER because Vue doesn't support them. If you have World Machine the SuperErosion macro is a much better purchase.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: cyphyr on January 07, 2013, 03:59:49 pm
Well since it's for World Machine 2 there's no reason why we could not import the resulting terrain and masks into Terragen.


True. There's a little "however" here thoough; if the guy didn't set up mask outputs for his macro then this would mean that you would need to dive into the macro itself to set up mask outputs.

Quote from: Allen-1 on January 07, 2013, 09:38:47 pm
For the World Machine users, i created a few custom presets that anyone can use freely.


Thanks, I'll have  a look at it!

Cheers,
Martin


cyphyr

Thanks  for the presets :)
I don't think setting up the masks should be too much of a problem. I've not used WM in a year or so but The mask setup basically ended up doing a seperate render for each type of mask, flow, erosion, etc
Richard
www.richardfraser.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 3900X @3.79Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 6:20)
i7 5930K @3.5Ghz, 32Gb (TG4 benchmark 13.44)

rcallicotte

 :o  I hadn't seen these!  Awesome!  Thanks Oshyan.


Quote from: Oshyan on January 08, 2013, 12:28:13 am
Indeed, those are just Macros for World Machine. That particular product can only be used with World Machine (not Vue), but the output terrain and masks can be used with Vue or Terragen (or many other apps that support World  Machine's many output formats). QuadSpinner also has a package of terrains generated by their "SuperErosion", which come in TGA and VOB formats: http://www.cornucopia3d.com/purchase.php?item_id=11687 The TGAs can be used in Terragen as well as Vue, although they're an 8 bit format, which is lower accuracy than you'd ideally want; I suppose they didn't include other 16 bit formats like TIFF or TER because Vue doesn't support them. If you have World Machine the SuperErosion macro is a much better purchase.

- Oshyan


QuoteFor the World Machine users, i created a few custom presets that anyone can use freely.


And thanks Allen-1!!!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

zaxxon

That Dax Pandhi is a very smart guy!  Geoglyph is actually a World Machine macro and at first run seems very robust, and as a WM macro it fits in the network and outputs all of the standard WM formats. Here's a couple of screen grabs from WM and Geoglyph (hopefully nobody at Quadspinner and WM minds the interface shots). I exported a .ter file from a very basic WM+Geoglyph setup and loaded it as a HF, plugged it into a fractal terrain in T2 and voila! It's described as a 'Preview' and certainly looks to be a wonderful set of tools in the making (and it's only $15!).

Tangled-Universe

But can you export the flow, wear and deposition masks of the erosion device(s)??

cyphyr

So far every time I try to open any of the pre-sets in the file above my world machine crashes ...

So I downloaded the demo version of WM and it works in it, outputting the masks works as expected however I'm limited to 512x512 terrains do to the demo of WM being limited in that way. Must see about moving my copy of WMPro over to this PC.
www.richardfraser.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 3900X @3.79Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 6:20)
i7 5930K @3.5Ghz, 32Gb (TG4 benchmark 13.44)

rcallicotte

Real nice, zaxxon.  I started playing with this last night.  Thanks!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: cyphyr on January 09, 2013, 08:37:35 am
So far every time I try to open any of the pre-sets in the file above my world machine crashes ...

So I downloaded the demo version of WM and it works in it, outputting the masks works as expected however I'm limited to 512x512 terrains do to the demo of WM being limited in that way. Must see about moving my copy of WMPro over to this PC.


Ok so I downloaded it too, why not ;)

Mine crashed first time as well. Second time now and it hasn't crashed yet (fingers crossed).

The map output is not what I expected/hoped for though as it is a heightfield output instead of the map itself but luckily there's a little work-around to get it in greyscale.
Playing with it now...looking what kind of input makes this macro shine...

JimB

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 09, 2013, 05:30:59 am
But can you export the flow, wear and deposition masks of the erosion device(s)??


Flow map and erosion map.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Jim,

I downloaded it about 2 weeks ago. The export for the maps is not what I expected/used of from an Erosion device.
It's flow, wear and deposition mask, but it gives me 2 outputs which differ not much and actually only resemble 2 forms of combined flow-maps.

Actually, I'm totally not impressed by this preset at all so far. The only real strong feature it has IMHO is that he managed to solve the over-rectangular erosion patterns which are somewhat typical to WM2's erosion (depending on the type of erosion though) in Alpine like terrains.