Who would feel up for another NWDA Image Contest?

Started by FrankB, January 16, 2013, 11:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who feels up for another NWDA (Still) image contest?

I'm in
29 (100%)
I'm out
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: February 18, 2013, 04:42:39 AM

Dune

The problem with 'photo real' is that it's hard for free TG2 users to have a fair chance. Perhaps that could be another category?
The voting is a good idea, but I wouldn't ask people to get all '30' in line, but give the three best their respective number, or just the best of each category one vote. But how would you restrict the voting per person? I could easily vote 10 times for one of the images (my own  ;))...

FrankB

"Photo real" is definitely the prime category, when we talk about Terragen. You can make pretty photo real images with the free version, you just have to choose a scene that is not so much affected by the free version limitations. For example, don't create a scene that relies on a big variety in populations.
The contest theme will allow for that kind of flexibility.
Frankly, TG2 is all about photo real, so that category is a must.

In all honesty, we don't want to limit the scope of the contest based on free or not free edition. We just want to honor the best image, whatever it takes.

About the voting system, we still have to figure that out in detail. Our initial thought is to allow one vote per category, which makes it simple. Most likely a normal survey could provide that functionality. Once we decide to let people vote, there is always a possibility of cheating, which we will surely attempt to prevent, but there is no guarantee of success - that's a risk we would take. After all, this is for FUN and not something really serious.
We think the benefit of letting everyone participate in the outcome outweighs the cheating risk. It sure would be an experiment, as we have never done that before.
In the end, IF there are serious problems that we can't overcome with a public voting, we can still resort back to a jury model.

I think this is all probably secondary, as the actual act of contesting in creativity and skill should be the primary motivator for participating. The past NWDA contests have created some of the top community experiences on these forums in the past. That's what counts! :-)

Cheers,
Frank

Dune

Agree. Hopefully some more contestants will appear out of the dark and unfathomable depths of TG2 users... Any idea about prizes yet? That might pull people across the line...

FrankB

hmm, no idea about the prizes, yet. Rember, we're just about whether we launch a new contest or not. No reason to talk to possible sponsors just yet :-)
I'm sure we'll have attractive prizes eventually, as always!

Cheers,
Frank

TheBadger

I prefer a jury model with clear guidelines that the jury will follow to make their decisions.  I have given up on democracy.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Are you 29, Jon? Then, good that you're in! Now who's going to be number 30?

FrankB

So, 29 is not 30, but I guess it's close enough.

We'll begin to work out the details for the contest and be back with the full announcement soon. :)

Looking forward to this!

Frank

FrankB