more foam

Started by mhaze, January 20, 2013, 04:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Here's a blue version with less plasticy birds - some of them seem to have too much displacement so I'll have to do yet another render.

Hannes

Quite an improvement. But I think the blueish tint would look best where the milky water is. So make the milk blue ;)
Maybe the displacement of the birds is a little bit too strong. Or too large. At the moment they don't look like plastic anymore, but a bit like plaster.

mhaze

Cheers Hannes - I've been trying to make the milky uprising water blue but haven't found a way yet.  The birds should be better on the next render.

Hannes

Funny! Without knowing, what I am doing I added another blueish (density 0.3, colour light blue) water shader and connected it by a merge shader which was driven by something I was hoping to be the right thing.
Image one: the result. The water is blue where it's supposed to be, but the rest looks like a biblical plague, and I don't know why :(.
Image two and three: the settings...

mhaze

Yeh, I had that happen to me on one of my experiments not sure what's going on. The foam bit looks good though. I think I have a way to do it but I'm going to have to rewrite the whole surf setup

Tangled-Universe

Hi Mick,

May I have a try at this one?
I have some ideas on how to do this a bit more simple. Using the mix controller for merge shaders never really worked for me.
If I may, could you accompany it with a sketch on where you'd like to see the blu'ish accents?

Cheers,
Martin

mhaze

Sure TU go ahead.  I've found a solution but it ain't elegant.  Just connect the ouput from the colour to greyscale node to the density 1 input on the water shaders The bluish tint needs to be where the greyish upswelling foam is close to the rocks, see Hannes image.

Dune

You can do this for bluish water near rocks:

mhaze

Interesting - that might well be it.

Matt

Ulco, could you try your technique with the "Volume" controls in the water shader? Its density can be controlled by a function. "Volume 1 colour" can be white, but when this combines with the "Decay tint" which you would set to a blueish colour you get a more chromatically rich range of colours. White-ish where the volume is most dense and blueish where it it fades away. The intensity of the colour will depend on the relationship between Decay distance and Volume 1 density. That sounds a bit complicated, but think of it as some white material (the "volume") suspended in a blueish water ("decay distance" and "decay tint").

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

QuoteIts density can be controlled by a function
Totally forgot about that. Thanks, Matt.