more foam

Started by mhaze, January 20, 2013, 04:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Unashamedly inspired by Dune.  Birds - Noggin's seagulls from Daz3d, limpets me, will post model later.  I did have a crab or two in there but they didn't show up well so I abandoned them.  Oh for a conforming kelp model!

Hannes

The foam looks fantastic. Any chance for sharing the settings for the pattern?

Hannes

Some suggestions: maybe the water could have a slightly blueish tint where it's kind of milky (see this link:
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000yeiZrW5m1YE/s/860/860/20120703-Point-Sur-Lightstation-moonrise-tour-MG-5443.jpg )
and if you'd place some small localised cloud layers right where water hits the rocks, you'd have some nice spray.

Tangled-Universe

Jeez, this looks so awesome! I absolutely love those rocks, fantastic!
Great water and foam also.
I agree with Hannes that you may try adding some blu'ish subsurface tint.
What I also like is that the seagull's are doing different things and aren't obvious populated or otherwise look repetetive.
The atmosphere fits the scene well too.

Gotta say again I really dig this one :) one of the nicest I've seen lately!

Cheers,
Martin

mhaze

Cheers all

Like the idea of the blue hint to the foam will explore. tgd going up, sans birds now.

mhaze

You can use the same technique to create foam around rocks in a river by using the displacement to vector node driven by a fake shader.  It's not too accurate but is better than random placing of the foam.

BTW the blue tone is proving hard to achieve!

Tangled-Universe

If you need help then drop me a line.

Kevin F

Great scene, love the rocks and foam. The birds look a bit plastic like though, could you apply a tiny bit of bump mapping with a tiny tiny bit of stretch along the body from head to tail?

mhaze

Yes Kevin - but I'm lazy!!!! and TG is not good at loading the bump maps automatically so I have to load them by hand, however I'll add some and see if it works.  Thanks TU tgd is up in file shareing - I'm trying to add some colour from the blue nodes but it's not srtong enough.

Kevin F

I've just added some greenish/blue colour to the water using the sub-surface vol1 colour and density settings - works fine.

mhaze

Aye, but I want to make the greyish, upswelling foam bluish.

TheBadger

lots of nice details here! Its cool.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Great result, Mick. My only crit would also be the 'plastic' birds. Thanks for sharing the limpets, they're a great addition to renders like this, and with the rotation features they stick to the rocks perfectly.