Mountains

Started by Andrew March, January 21, 2013, 04:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew March

Struggling to make mountains like those seen in these pics by Jo

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=15526.msg150996#msg150996

Can anyone give some pointers or is there a tutorial I can follow. To be specific I am lost on how to create the ridges and snow covering.

Tangled-Universe

Looks like he uses an Alpine Fractal as terrain (terrain tab -> create terrain -> alpine fractal).

The snow coverage is subject of experimentation of course.
I'd add a surface layer and increase it's default colour from 0.5 to something around 0.85.
Set slope restriction to a max of 75 degrees with 10 degree fuzzy zone and see how it looks.
Make crop renders and check whether you like how the snow covers the mountain shapes.
Adjust slope restrictions to your taste, as 75 degrees probably gives too much coverage, but only acts as a starting position.

Ultimately you may also try playing with the more advanced surface layer settings like Intersect Underlying.
I don't know whether you were at the webinar yesterday, but I discussed it briefly there.

Cheers,
Martin

Andrew March

Thanks for the pointers Martin and no I only found out about the webinars this morning, fool that I am.

Andrew March

Still having trouble getting the mountains the look the way I want them, can anyone suggest settings for the Alpine Fractal terrain?

Tangled-Universe

I'll try to see if I can get up with something interesting as soon as I have time.

For now I'd like to suggest to create a 480x360 render node, detail 0.4 and GI @ 1 (for fast preview renders) with a top-down facing camera above the alpine.
Go through every slider of the alpine fractal. Set to min, render, set to max, render and compare.
Then after going through all of them try to combine a couple of settings at their lower/highest setting.
Added together this should give you some insight on what each setting does and how they relate.

Jo Kariboo

Hi Martin and Andrew.
@ Andrew, as I said before  I have time this week to post the TGD of "up 1".
Cheers,
Pierre

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=15576.0

Andrew March

Pierre mon ami, you didn't need to post the tgd. Very very kind of you, thank you so much :)