Evaluating Terragen for quality.

Started by pixo, February 24, 2013, 11:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokoy

Pixo, I think you will be quite happy with TG's abilities in regards to quality and high res rendering. I am regularly rendering above 5000 pixels width and never had any problems, even at 10000 pixels it just did what I expected, no crashes, no excessive memory usage etc.
The node system is really powerful, as a former Vue user I am getting to what I have in mind way quicker than with Vue. No advertising speech here, just want to share my experience.

pixo

I just purchased Terragen.  Thanks for your comments and encouragement.  I have put a few hours into this and am becoming very enthusiastic about the software.

I am still wondering what to do about vegetation.  Are most people using X-frog models?  I have downloading some of the samples and they seem to work well.  What other option should I look at.  Speedtree? 

If I make my own plants in Modo, how easy is it to get textured models into Terragen?

Thanks for the help.  I will try not to be a nuisance.

gregsandor

Quote from: pixo on March 12, 2013, 12:25:57 AM
I just purchased Terragen.  Thanks for your comments and encouragement.  I have put a few hours into this and am becoming very enthusiastic about the software.

I am still wondering what to do about vegetation.  Are most people using X-frog models?  I have downloading some of the samples and they seem to work well.  What other option should I look at.  Speedtree? 

If I make my own plants in Modo, how easy is it to get textured models into Terragen?

Thanks for the help.  I will try not to be a nuisance.

Ask lots of questions if you can't find what you're looking for in the Search feature or elsewhere on the internet.  If you're a nuisance we'll just ignore you :)

Custom models are very easy to use in TG.  I model my own in .obj format, uvmap, texture, and import, then set up TG shaders for them.  Getting them to work in TG is the easiest part of the process.  I also like the XFrog models, and there are many others out there.  Any .obj model will work as long as it's well made and has been uvmapped properly (and that's a function of the model, not anything to do with Terragen.)