Big ditch - scaling check please

Started by bigben, May 24, 2007, 09:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Hi all

I was working on a workaround to the TER size limit on my old version of GlobalMapper and I think I've got a reasonable solution but I'm not entirely sure that the vertical scaling is accurate. The first image below is a view from the SE edge of the Grand Canyon. Does the scaling look OK or is it a bit exaggerated?.

The second image is from an altitude of 265km showing the full width of the terrain composite (4 4097x4097 TERs of varying resolution, 10m DEMs for the canyon surrounded by 90m SRTM). The largest terrain just makes it to the Pacific in the bottom corner.

rcallicotte

No.  It's beautiful.  It might be bigger than anything that exists, but scaling seems difficult sometimes in TG2.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Looks about right to me. Haze may be a bit strong but that's not strictly a function of scale. The default atmosphere is a tad hazy IMO.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Oshyan, what do you use for settings to eliminate too much haze?

Quote from: Oshyan on May 25, 2007, 02:37:09 PM
Looks about right to me. Haze may be a bit strong but that's not strictly a function of scale. The default atmosphere is a tad hazy IMO.

- Oshyan
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

I tend to reduce the haze density to 3 or so.

- Oshyan

bigben

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too familiar with this area and sometimes it looks too steep to me from certain angles.  To generate the TERs I exported Geotiff from Global Mapper (v4.78) and then loaded these into 3DEM to export 4097 terrains. If anyone is interested in using them I don't mind posting the files.

Buzzzzz

Quote from: bigben on May 27, 2007, 09:42:15 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too familiar with this area and sometimes it looks too steep to me from certain angles.  To generate the TERs I exported Geotiff from Global Mapper (v4.78) and then loaded these into 3DEM to export 4097 terrains. If anyone is interested in using them I don't mind posting the files.

I've been there and looks pretty good to me. I'd love to take a walk around this terrain.

bigben

I'm on dialup at the moment... It'll be faster for me to wait until I get to work in the morning where I can use sneakernet  ;) 

jo

Hi Ben,

Why don't you check the area out in WorldWind (my favourite despite not running on the Mac, although it sort of does now) or Google Earth? I seem to recall there is some very nice data for the Grand Canyon, parts of it at least anyway. Shadows of the sagebrush type of thing. Make sure you set the vertical exaggeration to 1 ;-).

Regards,

Jo

bigben

Just got lazy I guess  ;)  and Google Earth doesn't do a nice 90° fov. The palisades threw me a bit originally because I was expecting the rim to be flat (which is why I should have checked it in GE  ;) )