Mick's Road

Started by mhaze, March 02, 2013, 11:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

OK, here's my start. I've included the source pic.  I was drawn to this as we have a hill just like around the corner!

FrankB

Great, the terrain is quite close to the original. What are you going to do next? Work on the vegetation on road texture?

Cheers,
Frank

TheBadger

There are a few roads like that where I live. I feel a little dizzy just from the op image.

This one should be fun!
It has been eaten.

mhaze

Next stage - still work to do on road and trees to add.  Then.....

FrankB

the foreground roadside looks beautiful!

mhaze

cheers all - getting there slowly

cyphyr

Looking good but check your scale, something seems a bit "off" to me. Just my opinion mind but I think maybe the road is too narrow for the size of the plants and the road markings and posts. Making the markings/posts and to an extent the plants about 20% to 30% smaller would fix this.
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

mhaze

Yep I think you're right. will play

Oshyan

Man, with this and the other WIP threads, it looks like this contest is shaping up to have the highest quality entries ever. :)

- Oshyan

FrankB

Agree with Oshyan, everyone's working hard to push the boundaries here.

Except TU maybe, it seems like he gave up ;-)

Dune

Or he likes to raise the tension a bit  8) Actually, he's busy, I gather.

Hannes

Very promising. I agree about the width of the road.
It's always great to have a reference image to achieve as much photoreality as possible.

mhaze

Next Stage - lots to do.  Improve the moon and sky, sort the lighting improve the road texture and add the focal point

cyphyr

Looking very good :)
The road width proportion is better, maybe make the lines just a little thinner and you've nailed it. I like the subtle lighting, moonlight is incredibly hard to get even close to right. I'm not sure if it's technically accurate but such scenes often have a bluish hue, certainly in the shadows, are you planning to add this?
Keep up the good work:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

Well, I have to disagree with Richard. In my humble opinion and definitely to my personal taste I like daylight much better.
If you get the moonlight to work then that would be absolutely fantastic, but I have barely seen a photorealistic, let alone realistic render with moonlight.
It's an extremely tough nut to crack, so I would give it some thought before putting much precious time and effort into getting this type of lighting to work + meeting the aims of the contest.
So far I must say it doesn't look bad at all when you look at the vegetation.

About the vegetation: perhaps you can decrease the scales of the vegetation by half to give the image more depth and scale.
The road may seem a bit wide then.
You can of course also increase camera height to 'fix' this, but still there would only be X number of trees in between the camera and the distant hill instead of 2*X trees, see?

When I build my scenes I often start my populating my scene with trees to get a fix on my scales and final POV.
The size variation I set to those trees will be the size variations for almost all the other models I load into the scene, given that they use similar scales in metres (for example).