choronr WIP Roadside

Started by choronr, March 22, 2013, 12:11:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

To save time, if that's the only thing you want to tweak, you could just do a crop render of only the cactus. I think that is OK with the rules of the contest. If you're using GI, just remember to give some GI prepass padding.

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on April 08, 2013, 12:57:30 am
To save time, if that's the only thing you want to tweak, you could just do a crop render of only the cactus. I think that is OK with the rules of the contest. If you're using GI, just remember to give some GI prepass padding.

- Oshyan

The major components of the cactus don't have translucency or luminosity. I think the only thing to do is reduce their diffuse settings to something less than the default of 0.5.

Oshyan

Hmm, I'm not sure that will fix it, but worth trying in a crop I guess (definitely don't re-render the entire thing just to test these changes). I think what's actually odd are the black stripes down it, almost looks like a texture issue, though it may just be dark shadows or something. I'm not sure, but it's a bit odd. Maybe just not the best model?

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on April 08, 2013, 01:42:11 am
Hmm, I'm not sure that will fix it, but worth trying in a crop I guess (definitely don't re-render the entire thing just to test these changes). I think what's actually odd are the black stripes down it, almost looks like a texture issue, though it may just be dark shadows or something. I'm not sure, but it's a bit odd. Maybe just not the best model?

- Oshyan

Some years ago, I took some photos of Saguaros for 'Lightning' who created three cacti models. With a few exceptions, they are the best I have found. Those made by XFrog are segmented; Saguros are not segmented like some other cacti.

I'll work with the diffuse settings to see if I can get some improved results.

Dune

Great work, Bob. The road is superb now. I agree about the cactus, there's a repetition in it. Perhaps you can color it procedurally? Or just replace it by another or a tree stump or bush. Good luck with the final details!

choronr

Thanks Ulco, I'll try darkening the model by adjusting the diffuse setting of some of the object's components. Hopefully, this will do it.

inkydigit

great update Bob!
the final straight!
:) cheers
Jason

otakar

Yeah, the render looks very close to finished to me. Dramatic clouds for sure.

As for plants suddenly not showing up where they were before happens to me all the time. Usually it's due to me reopening a project and forgetting to generate a heighfield or adding a surface shader with displacement and forgetting to check the "Sit on Terrain" shader for populations. I wish there was a setting to reset them all to the last shader before the planet node. Or the requested population group function would solve that particular problem as well...

Anyway, really nice entry.

choronr

Thanks Jason and otakar. Looks like the adjustments to the 'diffuse' settings to the cactus did the trick to darken it worked. However, I'll have to re-render the image ...ugh! 20+ more hours!

Mor

The road is looking very good now. Keep on pushing the last minute tweaks, you surely are close to the finishing line.  :)

choronr

Thanks Mor, working with TG2 enables one a doctorate degree in patience. 

Dune

20+ hours? You don't need a very big image to win. What system do you work on and what are your detail specs?

choronr

Quote from: Dune on April 08, 2013, 01:48:18 pm
20+ hours? You don't need a very big image to win. What system do you work on and what are your detail specs?

I don't mind the 20 hour render Ulco. The image size is about right and close to what I usually render. I use Win7, 64 bit on a machine I built about 6 years ago. Intel quad-core with 8GB of RAM. As soon as I find my detailed specs, I'll post them.

choronr

Rendering is at Detail 0.75 and AA is 6.

TheBadger

Its a good scene man. It has a real decent feel to it. Some good old fashion Syfy.

Adding the photo treatment should finish it off nicely. MAybe a historic look, like it fell out of a Roswell file? Don't render it to real though, Jesse Ventura will find you, and ask you questions in a very stern voice.
It has been eaten.