XFrog promo 50% off

Started by FrankB, March 25, 2013, 07:17:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Just saw a significant discount promo from XFrog. It said 50% (!) off, store-wide until March 29th.


Regards,
Frank

DannyG

2 days ago I was almost bought 2 plant packs at regular cost, they will be purchased today thats for sure

pixo

Quote from: FrankB on March 25, 2013, 07:17:31 pm
Just saw a significant discount promo from XFrog. It said 50% (!) off, store-wide until March 29th.


Regards,
Frank



I noticed this too but have been a little disappointed with some of the sample trees I have downloaded.  They are not that great if they are close to the camera.  Some of the geometry shows faceting (trunks for example).  Unless there is some way to apply additional smoothing in T2, I am left trying to subdivide the model in another app.  Unfortunately they are triangulated.  Too bad they aren't modeled with quads.  In any case,  it seems like they will require a lot of extra messing to use as close objects.  I use Macs so I can't run the Xfrog software.  Maybe that would solve the problem.


I'm also looking at Speed Tree and Eon is coming out with a stand alone version of Plant Factory (at some point...).


FrankB

The quality and detail of the trees differs a lot, depending on whether you buy an old or a more recent product. The recent ones are more detailed, and you are right, you can increase detail easily in the xfrog software.
We have a small selection of HD models at NWDA if you want to have a look. Just a few models, though.



Cheers
Frank

xfrog


50 % Off entire store until April 1.
That's no joke.   (pun intended)


we had some early issues(2007-2008) with our obj->tgo conversion that did not include point normals on trunks for some plants.  various renders handle that in various ways.  e.g. vue renderer has a smoothing factor that is automatic (and can be adjusted higher) - and most other renderers can also "get around" lack of point normals to give smoothed curves.   i will talk to matt about this one as (a) we rebuilt ALL our TGO models from scratch in 2011-2012 and whilst doing that i believed we removed all the faceted issue during that rebuild (b) tg2 renderer should hopefully be able to smooth trunks.


with that said, we are happy to provide TGO + OBJ (and any other format you want)  during this Sale and we would really love it if you can provide a few file names of trees that exhibit the faceted issue.    It may be that the older free sample models are not the 2011-2012 update, i will check that immediately.


In any case i hope some of you may enjoy XfrogPlants Volume 2, which are 1600 models never before available in TGO format, all of which have 9 variations of season, age, color, and all of which do not have the faceting issue and are film-res poly counts - 250,000 to 2,000,000.


best regards


stewart mcsherry
product manager
xfrog inc
www.xfrog.com

Quote from: pixo on March 26, 2013, 09:26:59 pm
Quote from: FrankB on March 25, 2013, 07:17:31 pm
Just saw a significant discount promo from XFrog. It said 50% (!) off, store-wide until March 29th.


Regards,
Frank



I noticed this too but have been a little disappointed with some of the sample trees I have downloaded.  They are not that great if they are close to the camera.  Some of the geometry shows faceting (trunks for example).  Unless there is some way to apply additional smoothing in T2, I am left trying to subdivide the model in another app.  Unfortunately they are triangulated.  Too bad they aren't modeled with quads.  In any case,  it seems like they will require a lot of extra messing to use as close objects.  I use Macs so I can't run the Xfrog software.  Maybe that would solve the problem.


I'm also looking at Speed Tree and Eon is coming out with a stand alone version of Plant Factory (at some point...).

pixo

Quote from: xfrog on March 28, 2013, 11:11:21 pm

50 % Off entire store until April 1.
That's no joke.   (pun intended)


we had some early issues(2007-2008) with our obj->tgo conversion that did not include point normals on trunks for some plants.  various renders handle that in various ways.  e.g. vue renderer has a smoothing factor that is automatic (and can be adjusted higher) - and most other renderers can also "get around" lack of point normals to give smoothed curves.   i will talk to matt about this one as (a) we rebuilt ALL our TGO models from scratch in 2011-2012 and whilst doing that i believed we removed all the faceted issue during that rebuild (b) tg2 renderer should hopefully be able to smooth trunks.


with that said, we are happy to provide TGO + OBJ (and any other format you want)  during this Sale and we would really love it if you can provide a few file names of trees that exhibit the faceted issue.    It may be that the older free sample models are not the 2011-2012 update, i will check that immediately.


In any case i hope some of you may enjoy XfrogPlants Volume 2, which are 1600 models never before available in TGO format, all of which have 9 variations of season, age, color, and all of which do not have the faceting issue and are film-res poly counts - 250,000 to 2,000,000.


best regards


stewart mcsherry
product manager
xfrog inc
www.xfrog.com





Thanks Stewart.  Here is an example of the faceting I ran into.  The right tree is the SH10_Populus_tremula_TGO sample and the left tree is SH10_Populus_tremula_OBJ.  Unfortunately, I just need more time to evaluate my options.

xfrog

April 01, 2013, 05:49:28 pm #6 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:51:22 pm by xfrog
That is very odd and _not_ pretty. I will check that one immediately. Do you see the same with other TGO sample models on our site ?  If you buy TGO we also give you 3DS and the problem should not show up.  The problem was introduced to a few models (many years ago) in our conversion pipeline and i thought we solved all these last year.  The bad models went Xfrog35->C4D->obj->tg2, the correct pipe that fixed was Xfrog35->obj-> some cleanuptools->tg2.  Thanks for pointing that model out.

DannyG

I purchased 3 packs in TGO format during the sale, you mentioned above that you are willing to provide obj as well ? Is it possible for you to enable ESDs for the obj format ? That would be awesome.



DannyG

Thks Stewart for the quick reply, you guys are awesome

xfrog

We noticed a lot of folks who are not inside big massive companies are buying during the Half-price Sale
and so to further assist folks who are on a budget we decided to extended the sale until the end of April.   :)
In our shop we cannot enable multiple checkboxes on formats -  a bug that will be fixed soon - so if you buy anything from us and need any formats beyond TGO, e.g.
OBJ, modo, Vue, cinema4d, 3ds max, Maya, 3ds, lightwave, microstation,
just email matthew@xfrog.com with your order number
and what (free) additional formats you would like to have as downloads.
i havent yet looked at the problem sample model.  we have 3,000 plants and i will say that 99 percent do not have faceting trunks and any that do you can simply work from the free 3ds format mentioned above - as that did not go thru the problematic pipe.  to be annoying detailed the problem was xfrog35->3ds->cinema4d R? ->obj(<-here was the problem - c4d threw away point normals when exporting obj- we were using c4d to tweak the models) -> TGO.   we only used this pipeline very briefly and discovered the problem and re-exported the models without using c4d.  i am assuming the sample model is the "old pipe" version and will look at this in detail later today.
if you have Xfrog35 and wish to edit any of our plants: create new variations, drastically raise or lower detail(procedural models) or, create new content of your choice , you simply exportOBJ in Xfrog35, and then importOBJ into TG2.   We worked closely with Planetside to ensure the OBJimport automagically rotates our models 90 degrees and sets up transparency maps on all leaves and flower blossoms.
we also have some videos here on getting TG2 content into 3ds max and Maya  http://xfrog.com/support/terragen-2/
thanks everyone and enjoy the Half Price Sale.  We especially hope you will enjoy XfrogPlants Volume Bundle 3,000 TG2 files



xfrog

Extended to April 30.  Enjoy.

Quote from: FrankB on March 25, 2013, 07:17:31 pm
Just saw a significant discount promo from XFrog. It said 50% (!) off, store-wide until March 29th.


Regards,
Frank

pixo

Quote from: xfrog on April 04, 2013, 03:52:41 pm
We noticed a lot of folks who are not inside big massive companies are buying during the Half-price Sale
and so to further assist folks who are on a budget we decided to extended the sale until the end of April.   :)
In our shop we cannot enable multiple checkboxes on formats -  a bug that will be fixed soon - so if you buy anything from us and need any formats beyond TGO, e.g.
OBJ, modo, Vue, cinema4d, 3ds max, Maya, 3ds, lightwave, microstation,
just email matthew@xfrog.com with your order number
and what (free) additional formats you would like to have as downloads.
i havent yet looked at the problem sample model.  we have 3,000 plants and i will say that 99 percent do not have faceting trunks and any that do you can simply work from the free 3ds format mentioned above - as that did not go thru the problematic pipe.  to be annoying detailed the problem was xfrog35->3ds->cinema4d R? ->obj(<-here was the problem - c4d threw away point normals when exporting obj- we were using c4d to tweak the models) -> TGO.   we only used this pipeline very briefly and discovered the problem and re-exported the models without using c4d.  i am assuming the sample model is the "old pipe" version and will look at this in detail later today.
if you have Xfrog35 and wish to edit any of our plants: create new variations, drastically raise or lower detail(procedural models) or, create new content of your choice , you simply exportOBJ in Xfrog35, and then importOBJ into TG2.   We worked closely with Planetside to ensure the OBJimport automagically rotates our models 90 degrees and sets up transparency maps on all leaves and flower blossoms.
we also have some videos here on getting TG2 content into 3ds max and Maya  http://xfrog.com/support/terragen-2/
thanks everyone and enjoy the Half Price Sale.  We especially hope you will enjoy XfrogPlants Volume Bundle 3,000 TG2 files





Thank you.  Very generous and much appreciated.